Wednesday, 26 July 2017

ON COMPLAINING . . .

I'm not a big complainer.

Well, that's technically not true. I moan about things all the time, like when it takes me ages to get served at a bar (I really do think most bars should at the very least consider the idea of implementing a queuing system), or when someone stops right in front of me abruptly in the street without any warning whatsoever, or when companies send you unsolicited snail mail with "recycle" messages on it (stop sending it and solve the paper waste problem, eh???)  or the weather because Scotland. But in terms of actually writing a complaints letter or email, I don't really tend to do this. I think about doing it a lot, but I don't actually get around to it.












My boyfriend's mum loves a complaint letter. She's great at them. She'll send them away but she'll keep copies of them so we can read them. She actually writes "copy" on those ones, which I think is amazing. She wrote a great one the time we got stuck in a taxi in Newcastle for about an hour and a half during the Great North Run a few years ago, and the time the boyfriend got a parking ticket for parking too long in the same car park, when he'd actually been there two separate times that day and parked in completely different bits of the car park. I need to get some of her inspiration as there's been a few things I wanted to complain about over the past few years. I haven't actually got the motivation to do it yet, but I will . . . one day. In the meantime, I thought I'd list them here. Maybe that will remind me to actually do it at some point . . .

At some point I need to complain to a well-known clothing website . . .

If I am searching through sale items and I've specifically filtered it to choose my size only, I've done this so I don't get the inevitable disappointment of seeing something I like, clicking on it and then discovering it's only available in a size 4. So I get rather upset when I filter it by size, see something I like, click on it with much excitement and then discover that it's sold out and, slightly annoyingly, has a sad face emoticon next to it. Why isn't the system intuitive enough to know not to list that item? I refuse to believe that someone has literally just virtually stole the last one from under my nose. Because it tends to happen several times in quick succession. And it's very disappointing. :-(

At some point I need to complain about car parking . . .

Outside the boyfriend's house there's space for four cars to park (and it's not a tight squeeze) but there aren't actual physical "spaces" mapped out with paint, if you know what I mean? So if the neighbours beat us back when we're staying at his, they tend to park like douchebags, managing to park in such a way that only two cars can possibly get parked. I am constantly saying I'm going to contact his council about it and ask them if they can paint lines in for spaces but I have been saying this for about two years now. I think this one might actually get written at some point though - in the last couple of weeks I've even gotten as far as taking pictures of the various different parking scenarios that go on as examples, so I'm getting there. Give me another two year and this particular complaint letter might actually get sent after all!

At some point I need to complain about rail tickets . . .

My local station is an interchange station, as well as also having a subway. When you walk inside, there is a manned window for subway tickets and a machine for subway tickets. For the railway, there is one manned window for tickets and no machine. (I should add there are two windows for both subway and railway tickets but I have not once witnessed more than one window open for each.) This means there is always a queue for railway tickets and usually no alternative. You very occasionally get a couple of staff with handheld machines issuing tickets but this has been pretty rare. So we've ended up missing numerous trains because of having to queue behind someone who has decided today is the day they're going to buy their round the world train ticket that they don't actually need for three months. And if you're going into the city centre you can't really jump on the train and hope for the best because if the ticket seller on the train doesn't get to you during the five minute journey, you have to queue at your destination anyway because there's a ticket barrier there and you have no ticket to get through it. Frustrating as anything!!! Now, apparently they are finally installing a rail ticket machine so I might not need to complain about this after all  . . . but we've been waiting a loooonnnngggg time for this machine to materialise.

At some point I'll need to complain to a travel company . . .

I go on a lot of holidays. (Don't hate me. I'm skint because of it.) And it never fails to amaze me that with a certain company, when you arrive at your destination, go through the stress of baggage reclaim and go outside to get your bus . . . you discover the bus is not there. In fact, the reps standing around seem surprised to see you, even though five planes belonging to the company were all expected to land at that point. I do feel like I spend a lot of time waiting around for the resort transfer bus to appear at the airport, when all you want to do is get to your destination so the holiday can really begin. The occasion I wanted to complain about most though was the time we were told specifically to get on one bus, after waiting around for ages, then someone got on the bus and shouted a bunch of us off like we were naughty children who had just decided randomly to jump on the wrong bus. Sooooo not cool.  I guess that happened like two years ago now so it's probably a moot point to try and complain about that specific incident. I really really was determined to do so at the time though!

So the moral of the story here, I guess, is that if I want to complain about something, I really should do it at the point when my initial issue arises, rather than waiting around for years and stewing over it. And, in the time it took me to type up this post, I could probably have typed up at least one of the above complaint letters. Oh well . . .


Have you ever complained to a company about something? Or wanted to and not got around to it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)