Sunday, 29 August 2010

DO DREAM JOBS EXIST???

On the 15th August, I celebrated my fifth year in my current workplace.

Five years. Bloody hell. This is somewhat of a record for me. I've actually done two different jobs within the company, but the time I spent in BOTH of those jobs is longer than I've ever held down another post with another company.

And believe me, I've had far worse jobs. A sixteenth month stint in Directory Enquiries, where I answered between 900 and 1200 calls every day giving out phone numbers to the people of Britain who chose to call 192. Three months in the toy department of John Lewis in the run-up to Christmas. Two stints working for what turned out to be a con artist (which actually wasn't that bad a job - apart from the whole not-getting-paid thing, that is.) Two receptionist jobs that made me realise I could not under any circumstances be a receptionist EVER AGAIN. I could go on. I've had about 15 different jobs. But I won't subject you to it.

So I don't actually mind my job that much most of the time. The problem is though, I've still not managed to work out what the heck I want to do with my life. Well, I still hold out the dream of one day writing a book. But in the meantime, while I work out the kinks on that one, it would be nice to actually find my dream job.

Unfortunately, the vacancies for rose wine testers are few and far between.

And when it comes down to it, I'm pretty sure that THAT would be my dream job.

Shame. :)


Do any of you have what you deem the perfect job? If not, what would BE your dream job?

10 comments:

  1. Congrats on your five year anniversary! :)

    My dream job would be getting paid to read. Like, I'd read a book I've been really looking forward to and someone would say, "Aww, well done, you awesome girl, here's one thousand pounds!"

    Crazy, I know, but surely there can't be anything better? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like Bookalicious Rambling's Dream job too!

    Actually, I know what I want to do but I can't seem to get hired on! I rarely see any job postings for them for one thing. I've actually called a few companies in that particular line of work and they've all said it's mostly on the job training. And yet, when they hire, they want someone with experience. How are you supposed to get that experience if no one will hire you without it? Sooooooo frustrating!

    I've been unemployed for almost a year now so I think my dream job would be just about any job right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to have my own wee seaside tattoo studio :) failing that, I'd love to be an art teacher or to work for a graphic design company, but not on a freelance basis!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two stints working for what turned out to be a con artist (which actually wasn't that bad a job - apart from the whole not-getting-paid thing, that is.)

    Uh, exsqueeze me? Baking soda? You need to explain this with a blog posting! I feel like it would be quite the story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I REALLY enjoy my job, and see myself there for another 3-5 years, but i wouldn't exactly call it my "dream job"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Firstly well done on your work anniversary :D

    Secondly I'm not sure it helps reading about other people's dream jobs unless it motivates you to find out what you want? But yes, I love my job and although parts aren't great I'm not sure I'd find one much better at this point. Feel very blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm starting a new job in a few weeks actually. It is not my dream job, but dreams don't pay the bills *cue in cynical music*

    I, too, would write a book as a dream job. I wonder, though, if turning something you are passionate about into work forces you to lose your passion for it. Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anything that involves me getting paid to drink and masturbate (not necessarily at the same time) - so... bar/pub reviewer and Ann Summers tester?

    I probably have a much deeper and serious dream job, but right now it's the booze and sexy times that are ranking high on my 'make me happy' list. (bet you wish you'd never asked).

    xXx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dream jobs only exist in your dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats for your 5 years!!! That's a big anniversary :)

    I guess I'm with Edlund - Dream jobs don't exist but in your dreams... We might have an idea in our mind of what we THINK is our dream job, but once we get it, it might be better than the one before, but it will still have its flaws... Look at me: I like my job, like my company (and specially my boss) ... but would change my location to be somewhere warm and next to the sea! (can't stand this cold anymore).

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)