Monday, 15 March 2010

WELL, YESTERDAY I PROMISED YOU A RECIPE . . . SO HERE'S SOME PIZZA!

If you are my friend in real life, or in the blogosphere, you will more than likely already know that I am a massive fan of pizza. I'm practically on first name terms with the Dominos and Pizza Hut delivery people (okay, slight exaggeration, but it's close to the truth, I swear it!) and I probably end up having a store-bought pizza at least once a week.

Every so often though, I like to make my own pizza.

From scratch.

(Don't get excited, I haven't suddenly became a top chef overnight - this is one of the few things I can actually make!)

This is the pizza I made last night. It doesn't look QUITE as appetising in picture form than it does in real life, but trust me, it's yummy. And fairly simple to make, believe it or not!

The recipe is based on a cheese scone recipe. Cheese scones are one of the first things I ever learned to make.

So the base is essentially a giant cheese scone. Yum.

So here is my adaption of the recipe to make pizza for two (or possibly three or four as a little snack).

INGREDIENTS:

For the base:
350 g self-raising flour
pinch salt and pepper
50g margarine
100g cheese, grated
2 eggs
4 tablespoons of milk
Herbs (if desired)

Topping:
Grated cheese
Small amount of bolognese sauce
Whatever veg or meat you wish to add.

Mix together the flour, margarine, salt and pepper. Once that's mixed together properly, add the cheese. The egg and milk should be mixed together before it is added gradually to the rest of the mix.

(I tend to end up adding another tablespoon or two of milk to the mix as occasionally it can take a while to mix in all the flour. )

I then added some herbs, which is not necessary, but I like it. I added some basil and oregano, as that was all I had in terms of herbs.

I also tossed in a touch of garlic powder.

I sometimes make two larger pizzas out of the mix, or split it into small sections, depending on whether I'm feeding just myself or other people. The pizza i made last night was the size of the one below, plus I made three large slices with the remainder of the mix - one for my flatmate and two for my lunch today and tomorrow. (The pizza also tastes nice cold)

Another variation I have made in the past is try to make my own version of a stuffed crust - by rolling the pizza out extra thinly at the end, laying some small slices of cheese on it then folding it back on itself. That's also proved to be a success in the past.



Once I had the dough all rolled out, I placed it on a greased tray and heated up the oven to 220 degrees C.

I chose to use some Dolmio extra mushroom bolognese sauce as a topping, followed by many chopped up mushrooms and onions. I then used a mix of two different cheeses on top of this.

10-15 mins in the oven and VOILA! I set to work with my pizza slicer and the pizza was ready to eat.

To be honest, I'd already stuffed a few slices in my mouth BEFORE I snapped the pic at the top of this post.

It was DELICIOUS!

Oh yes, I DO like pizza . . . :)

Do you have a special recipe for anything?

22 comments:

  1. That sounds delish! I love making pizza :) I just tried out this recipe tonight (via Lynda in Tanzania! http://foodfunfarm.blogspot.com/2010/03/milk-tart-melk-tert-recipe-for-my-dear.html)- it's a traditional South African dessert, and this was easy to make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delish! And here I am on a stupid diet.. the temptation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tbh, I have pizza nearly every day for a snack. I have four in the freezer and two in the fridge at the moment. Goddamnit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could live on homemade pizza. SOooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should NOT be looking at your scrummy pizza this late! Looks luscious though! I love making pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you know what.. I've been blaming my lack of weightloss on the fact that I'm greedy with chocolate. But tomorrow? I can blame you. Because I'm so making pizza for my tea!!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I had all those ingredients right now...that looks great and I am starving!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always act like I am making homemade pizza when I buy dough and throw a bunch of toppings on it. This is hardcore.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always fail miserably when I try to make my own pizza. I can never get the dough to cook right. Maybe I'll try your recipe because every other one I've tried the dough comes well, too doughy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds delicious! I have attempted many recipes but never pizza. I may have to try it now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks delish, yummy and so easy to make, will have to give it a try. But I will add my favorite pizza topping masarpone cheese. ahhhh it just makes every pizza heaven

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks yummy, and fairly simple. Might have to try this one...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I cannot cook. At all. My expertise is limited to toast. But, boy! I can cook toast with the best of them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks amazing! It's been aaaages since I've made my own pizza... I'm still very much a fan of making my own chilli though. I'll post a recipe if I can be bothered, but generally I chuck in whatever looks right. None of this 'proper measurements' nonsense! :P

    ReplyDelete
  15. YUM!!! I Love pizza too. Have you ever tried New York pizza?

    PS-You've been tagged

    http://snafuliving.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh yummy, that pizza looks so good!! I actually posted a recipe today on my blog...chocolate chip cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pizza is my favorite food so I'll have to try this recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That looks so much better than my scrambled eggs and toast!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I made this last night - apart from getting flour all over the kitchen, it went well.

    Love the cheese scone dough idea. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  20. ooh that looks good! I want pizza for tea now. I’m impressed you made the dough yourself. I've made pizza a few times but I cheat and buy a base (or I just add extra toppings to a shop bought pizza...that counts as making one right?)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just finished making and eating this and it was lovely! =)
    Thanks for sharing. XD

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)