Wednesday, 17 February 2010

WHERE IN THE WORLD WEDNESDAY: TALES FROM A HEN WEEK . . .


It's Wednesday and it's time for Classy In Philadelphia's feature "Where in the World" Wednesday.

This week I'm in Torrevieja, a little town in Spain near Alicante where I went for a hen week (I suppose this is the equivalent of a bachelorette holiday in North America) in May 2008. Having just broken up with someone at the end of February 2008, it was just what I needed.


Above is the last night on our roof terrace before we headed out for the BIG celebrations (the other five nights had just been leading up to this...)

One of the first night's out, where me and the girl beside me were presented with roses by random dudes. Does it sound romantic? Yes. Until I tell you that neither of the guys had any teeth and were NOT attractive...

This is the point where you thank your lucky stars that YOU are not the one getting married. Having to do a pole dance in the middle of a roundabout in daylight dressed in barely any clothes . . .? Not the best? (Thankfully she had a fab figure AND pole dancing lessons under her belt...)

Me showing off my (limited) gymnastic skills in the middle of the same roundabout several days before, but in the middle of the night. Later that night, we all ended up in the back of a random white van - the guys had just driven past and some of the girls had managed to convey to them we wanted a ride. AND amazingly, considering we HAD no Spanish, they GAVE us a lift AND didn't kill us. Wow. They also ended up having a party at our flats but I had given up and gone to bed by this time. (Did I mention the only person there older than me was pregnant and gave up and went home after two days?)

Posing in the street in Torrevieja on our last night. A random security guard snapped this pic for us.

Like most Scottish Catholics, when abroad we gravitate to Irish pubs. This was one of those times . . .


This is me and the bride to be above. I felt like a bit of a heffer next to her...

Up on our roof terrace another night.


Where in the world are YOU this Wednesday? If you participate, drop by Jessica's blog to post your link and find other participants . . .

25 comments:

  1. Oh wow, that looks like so much fun. I love weekends away for my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like seriously rad fun! That's the bummer of living in Aus... everything is sooooo far away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your tan shirt! Gorgeous and you look hot next to her, stop lying! I love that you call it a hen week. So cute.

    Thanks for joining in lover!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE SPAIN.

    Also, "hen week" looks so cool! Way better than a night of crazy drinking and strippers which is a bachelorette party in the USA. When I was in France I saw a group of girls who had pins that said something about hen week. I wanna go to one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a pretty group of girls! And how happy you all look together! Thanks for sharing the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I was here. Woa, can we switch places so I could go to these places? hehe. I really need to do some travelling? Spain is one of the places I definitely want to go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love crazy bachelorette celebrations :) I love how you guys do crazy stunts by the side of the road like that. I think I need way too many shots to be able to do those :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you had such a fun time! And no you don't look like a heffer, at all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aaahhh that looks like so much fun!

    And you are adorable, you do NOT look like a heffer. Tsk.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like a fab week :-) And you look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loving your dresses in these photos..!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You and your friends are the first women to ever survive getting into a random white van. Haven't you ever seen Silence of the Lambs????? Looks like you all had a blast though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your photos. They always make me realise 1. I don't take enough photos of myself and 2. I don't take enough holidays to have an excuse to take photos of myself. lol

    xXx

    ReplyDelete
  14. You look GORGEOUS in that photo of you and the bride! x

    ReplyDelete
  15. That looks SO fun. And your gymnastics skills ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loks like so much fun. Love the backbend! ;)

    I'm in Chicago this Wednesday:
    http://snafuliving.blogspot.com/2010/02/where-in-world-wednesday_17.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Impressive back bend.

    It looked like everyone had a blast. It's been 2 years, you should plan another long weekend away with good friends (yeah, I know you just got back from a fun weekend with bloggers, but this is different).

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like to think I can hold my own but I have learned that I can barely hang with the weekend Hen party and now far prefer the one nighters!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would love to do the Where in the world days.. but i haven't been anywhere and I never remember to take pics when I DO go places. I love that you did a back bend in the middle of everything. Awesome. I heart you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You've had more holidays than Judith Chalmers!

    Don't pretend you aren't old enough to know who she is!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks like you had one helluva week ..the back flip is amazing .. and all the pics too !!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, looks like a fun time! I've never been to a bachelorette party, so this makes me excited for my first one!

    ReplyDelete
  23. A bachelorette party in SPAIN?! Now that sounds like some good times. =)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I loved hearing about the different hen week/ends when I was in Ireland. You girls sure turn it into an event! Sounds like you had a great trip!

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)