Monday, 8 February 2010

THE LONG AWAITED TWEET-UP . . .

The view from our penthouse apartment balcony - Manchester viewed from the 19th floor...




I was always jealous of those bloggers over the pond who meet up regularly and so when I first got the email suggesting the Manchester Tweet-Up, I was all for it. I joined in the plans, booked my train tickets, eagerly awaited the 6th February . . .

And as I sat on the train, finally sure I was on the RIGHT one and Manchester-bound I suddenly started to panic. WHAT WAS I THINKING??? I COULDN'T DO THIS!

There was so much for me to worry about, aside from the fact that they were maybe all men pretending to be girls to lure me to Manchester (which they weren't, thank God!). What if I couldn't think of anything to say? What if they didn't like me? What if I didn't like THEM? What if I embarrassed myself by doing something stupid like falling over? (er...) There was this really surreal thought that it was like meeting characters from a book - I'd read about their lives but they'd never quite seemed REAL to me, despite me being friends with them on Facebook and chatting to them via email and twitter for months now to plan this thing.

I was suddenly TERRIFIED!

And then I got to the station and met Miss Smidge, The Pink Jellybaby and Helen, I realised my nerves were unfounded, because they were lovely. We decided to grab a drink while waiting for Elle. And then, after Elle arrived and we couldn't check into our (absolutely INCREDIBLE!) apartment, we went for ANOTHER drink.

Probably a bit of a rookie error. By the time we'd checked in and Miss H had arrived, I had imbibed two large glasses of wine (one of which had came in a BEEYOOTIFUL plastic glass, which always makes me feel REALLY classy.)

After that everything turned into a bit of a blur.

I remember drinking red wine (which is unusual for me) which Liz Sara had brought along, followed by more rose. A LOT of rose . . .

I VAGUELY recall eating some stuff (which was probably a good thing since all I'd eaten before that was a packet of Weightwatchers Hula Hoops on the way down on the train and a couple of Elle's chips in the second pub), including delicious cupcakes made by LiloLou.

I remember (after a comment on another blog jogged my memory, that is!) that we had a lime thief in our midst (tut tut, Helen!)

I remember the local girls, Victoria, Rachel and Julia turning up. And me getting even drunker.

I don't really remember leaving the apartment. Which makes me wonder how I possibly managed to get into a drinking establishment because I must have ALREADY been wasted.

Apparently I also got involved in a rant about Jordan/Katie Price and how she was just a star-fucker. Well, THAT'S true.

And I fell. OF COURSE I fell. I was drunk and wearing heels. Heels do NOT agree with me. Apparently I was fairly close to getting chucked out by the bouncer. Oops. I don't remember much about the fall (thank God, cos it must have been embarrassing!) but I have a mental image (which may or may not be based on reality, or simply my paranoia) of flailing around on the floor like a four-legged starfish. I hope that's not actually a drunken flashback...

The aforementioned heels were KILLING my feet by the end of the night. I have a vague memory of whimpering with every step on the (very short) walk home.

We were back at the apartments before midnight. I would say it's because we're lightweights but - HELLO? DRINKING SINCE HALF PAST ONE IN THE AFTERNOON??? I'm amazed I lasted as long as I did!

Apparently I then spent some time lying on the floor. And also getting yelled at by one of my flatmates on the phone cos I'd worried her and one of my other friends by not answering my phone. It took me a while to convince her I HADN'T been kidnapped. She then called me a "bawbag" - my new friends defended me though.

I then proceeded to pass out in one of the beds and was in such a heavy sleep I didn't even notice when Miss Smidge got into bed with me. It was only when I woke up the next morning with no clue where I was, and hearing someone else breathing, that I realised I wasn't alone. Another momentary panic as I wondered if I'd taken a random back with me, then I realised it was her - thank God!

I spent most of Sunday hanging about Piccadilly waiting for the train home - unfortunately the other girls were either on earlier trains or had other plans - and even braved one of the bars myself (very unlike me!) Smidge and her dad joined me just at the point where I was going insane with my own company and my boring book, and then it turned out one of my friends was actually in Manchester too and on the same train back as me.

Which was a good thing as 1) the train was full of knobs* and 2) the train was going to be splitting in two at Preston and if she hadn't been with me, I would probably have ended up in the depths of the Lake District instead of Glasgow.

In the end, it was nearly ten last night before I got home and I was exhausted, but still managed to enjoy another bottle of wine. Today everything hurts and I'm sooo tired. I have random bruises everywhere but a bunch of fabulous memories (albeit blurry) of these amazing girls I met this past weekend.

I miss you all already girls! Roll on the next meet-up in (hopefully!) Scotland . . . :) xxx


* A post about trains being full of knobs is more than likely in the offing...

30 comments:

  1. Wow this sounds like so much fun!! Wish I lived on your side of the pond! I keep waiting to find some bloggers from Atlanta so that I can have a meetup with them as well. Can't imagine the surreal-ness of meeting 'characters out of a book' as you've said. Glad you survived :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sound like a blast! I wish we could do this in Canada, no bloggers in my area :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, sounds SO FUN! I'm yet to go to a big blogger meet-up. ONE DAY, though!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great time!

    I'm on WW here in the States and am wondering what the Hula Hoops are... Do tell!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always wanted to go to a blogger meet up!!! That's so cool! :) Glad you had fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you had fun P based largely on the fact that you don't remember much of the weekend and you have bruises. Superb! next time you are in town I shall drive into M'cr in the hope of seeing your starfish, impression that is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like such a great time!!! I'm glad you didn't end up taking a random, but that would have been fun too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The best memories are those you don't remember.... clearly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds like such a wonderful - if hazy - night. I love that you acknowledge all those yucky inside feelings! Makes me feel better about my own internal dialogue.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh that's so awesome that you got to go!!! That's wonderful that you guys had a lovely day. I wish I could meet some of you bloggers, but I understand the Omg Omg I hope they are who they are. hehe. Manchester looks really pretty from up above. I would deal with the apartment drama for that view!! I'll just tons of rolls of toilet paper. =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like so much fun!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooooh! Luck you. I'm so jealous. I don't think anyone around my way does this sort of thing.

    Sounds like you had a fantastic time (from the bits you remember anyways, haha). You deserved it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow ! That sounds like quite the meeting :) Amazing ! I've never participated in a tweetup or blogup .. but I'm looking forward to it at some point :)

    Hope you get some rest now, it sounds like it was a wiiiild ride!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loovesssss it! Meet up stories always make me happy, yours sound really crazy too. I wish I could participate :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha, I've just read yours and Miss Smidge's tweet up posts together. Great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Haha! You and Hannah were both on the floor with me standing in the middle peeing myself laughing at both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so glad you all had a great time.
    now hey why not a blog trip to Thailand people!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Man I'm so jealous! Sounds like you had a great time.

    I want in on the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm glad you had a good time. And that you got on the right train. Those UK trains are CONFUSING!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like an entertaining night! Glad you finally got to meet up with bloggers. Now come to the US!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So fun! I wish I could be doing that now! I miss alcohol SO much. I actually had almost 1/2 a beer while watching the Super Bowl. It was so good.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It sounds like you had a blast and don't worry about falling...everyone, I mean everyone knows HEELS are evil.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fab time!! :D Oh, and the view. I miss that view!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi there - I LOVE this Where In the World Wednesday idea, and do hope you don't mind if I copy shamelessly. I will of course credit you and link. Thanks for the inspiration - Caroline x

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'd love to be able to be in the same room as you and Miss Smidge...

    I haven't done any blogger meetups on this side of the pond, so I get jealous as well. I don't live near enough/have the money to travel to the big metropolitan areas as of yet, but I'll make it out to one eventually.

    Glad you enjoyed yours, minus the tripping.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ah, This is awesome! Clarifies
    some misnomers I've been hearing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Solar eneragy is the future for the planet.
    [url=http://www.solarcourses.org/]solar generators[/url]

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ah, This is perfect! Dispells
    some contradictions I've heard

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)