Wednesday, 30 December 2009

"WHERE IN THE WORLD WEDNESDAY" AND MY TOP TUNES OF 'O9 . . .

I'm going to cover a couple of things again today. It's weird . . . you get to the end of the year, putting things off, then you have so much unfinished business.

Weird huh?

Anyway . . .

Firstly, I've decided to participate in the weekly feature of a blog I've recently started reading and already love, Classy in Philadelphia. The feature is called "Where in the World Wednesday" (sorry, I can't work out for the life of me how to get the button to work!) where I post a picture of myself somewhere in the world.


So this is me in Lanzarote. In the UK, Lanzarote is a fairly common destination to go to (I was meant to go back there next year in fact - until the airline went bust a week or two ago!), but for the uninitiated, it's part of the Canary Islands, a series of Spanish islands located off the coast of Morocco and Western Sahara. Of the four main Canary Islands I've visited, Lanzarote is my favourite (closely followed by Fuerteventura, which I visited when I was in Lanzarote - and vice versa - they're right next to each other and both have similar dry desert conditions which I immediately - no pun intended - warmed to). I went to Lanzarote in October 2007 (after the day trip from Fuerteventura in 2006) and the weather was incredible - in this picture I'm on the balcony (which was absolutely HUGE) of the apartment me and my mum shared. Unfortunately it looked out on what was essentially wasteland (and, weirdly, a McDonalds?) but what I love about the Canaries, apart from the weather, is the fact they don't look like Scotland. They're not all green. They're lunar and volcanic looking. And, natural-disaster fanatic that I am, I find that very cool.

I'm sad I won't be going there again as planned next May - looks like we'll be going to the Greek islands instead of Spanish ones - but I WILL get back there soon!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So Elle was talking about her tunes of 2009 the other day - the ones that will remind her of this year - and since I already copied her by talking about my favourite 2009 books, I thought I would follow suit with this too. (Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, Elle, okay? Hehe.)

So without further ado:

Just Dance - Lady Gaga (had no idea who the fuck she was when I first heard this tune but it was a damn good song. And ever since then everything she has touched has turned to gold. Not counting her fashion sense. But this song remains my favourite).

Birdhouse in Your Soul - They Might Be Giants
(Cheating ever so slightly here since this song doesn't even belong in this DECADE, let alone this year. But 1) it's awesome and 2) it reminds me of my insane work away day in Troon in March where we ended up in someone's suite bopping along to this. Considering the majority of my department are around the same age as me, most of us knew it, but I had honestly thought I was one of the few people who loved it. Apparently not...)



Untouched - The Veronicas (utterly fabulous and the intro reminds me of "The Boys of Summer" by Don Henley which can never be a bad thing.)





Like Elle I also loved Tinchy Stryder and N-Dubz "Number One" as it reminds me of my holiday...



Then there was Daniel Merriweather's "Red" - absolutely BEAUTIFUL . . .



And as for Pixie Lott's "Mama Do" . . . I ADORE the stylishness of the video . . .



As for Cheryl Cole's debut solo single . . . well I really didn't WANT to like it. But I did. And the first time I HEARD it, I LIKED it. It wasn't even like it had to GROW on me. How humiliating...



And as the year comes to an end, this is the song I currently have on repeat . . .




And as for the single I would quite happily never hear again, have hated from the outset, and would like to actually obliterate from the planet . . . well done Black Eyed Peas. If I hear that fecking "I've Got A Feeling" or whatever the fuck it is called one more time . . . well, I'm bloody going to have to listen to it for the rest of my life as it seems to be everyone else's favourite, so I can't really do anything drastic but if I hear it . . . I'm going to moan. A lot. Just sayin' . . .


So what were YOUR songs of 2009? And where are you hoping to travel to in 2010???


And tomorrow I think it might be time to sum up the year in pictures, like I did last year. Who's with me???

13 comments:

  1. Oh holy crap I hate that Black Eyed Peas song too!! ARG!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only heard 'Birdhouse in your soul' for the first time this year - at a friend's wedding they played it while he and his new wife were walking out. Can't believe I'd never heard it before!

    Song of the year for me is also one not from this decade - it has to be Rage Against the Machine's Killing in the Name Of which I'm still smiling about the fact that it was Christmas Number One :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OHHH! You look sooo pretty in that dress and I so want to go there!

    I'm so excited you participated today...to save the button just right click the picture on my blog and save it to your computer. Then, when you're uploading..just do it the normal way you upload photos! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Flattered! :)

    Well, you already know my 2009 songs ... but as for my 2010 travel plans, I'm hoping to get to NYC and somewhere else - I really want to go to South Africa or Argentina, but it might have to be a short-haul trip instead.

    Here's to a fab 2010 for us all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmmm my tune of 2009...got to think about that one.
    Great list.
    Lady gaga is just loads of fun and I also HATE that black eyed peas song

    ReplyDelete
  6. Superb post, and a very pretty photograph. I'm with ya for the 'year in pictures' what a brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. not everyone can pull off a babydoll.

    you do.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You'd never be able to tell you were looking out at wastelands...and I do think it is funny you could see McDonald's from your balcony -- is there a place they aren't in?

    Happy New Year....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love They might be giants. Ohhh there is just too many songs to even say. hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've got a year in review post planned for the next few days in between feeds with my new baby, but i gotta say i hardly know any of those songs. Either there mainly UK artists who dont rate in Australia or i'm like waaaaaaay behind the times....

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're so pretty! And I love that dress.

    Same thoughts here on the Black Eyed Peas song. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello!! I'm new to your blog but what a wonderful post! I really want to review my favourite tunes too - I felt so guilty for liking that N-Dubz song because I've seen him on TV and he's SUCH a loser lol but I love that song too! And I just adore Cheryl Cole... so I had to like that song :)

    Lovely blog, I'm looking forward to reading more! (And yay for Lanzarote! I went there once - for Christmas - and santa came in on a CAMEL. Priceless :))

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)