Tuesday, 1 December 2009

"SHOULD AULD ACQUAINTANCE BE FORGOT . . ."

I know I'm getting a bit ahead of myself here but the past few days I've been thinking about New Year and what I'm going to do for it.

The thing is . . . I HATE New Year. I'm one of those people who is all about Christmas. New Year . . . it doesn't really mean much to me. It's just a date. I don't get presents. I can get drunk any night I like - unless I'm on medication or something like that - so there's nothing special about it in that respect. If you go out somewhere, it costs about three times the usual price to be squashed in a corner and feel under pressure to snog someone's face off at midnight just to make the money worth it - and so as not to feel like a loser.

Plus, it's WINTER. It's FREEZING!!! Who wants to be out in that???

Best New Year's I've had in my life? The past three.

2006/2007 - Me and my friend V got drunk in her flat and danced all night to the music channels. I nearly broke my thighs doing the stupid "Hung Up" Madonna dance.
2007/2008 - Me and my boyfriend at the time got drunk in my flat, watched silly Youtube videos followed by crappy Hogmana'ay tv and ate Pizza Hut starters.
2008/2009 - Me, two of my flatmates, one of their boyfriends and one of my best male friends got drunk in our kitchen.

All awesome nights. Despite being fairly uneventful.

The only year I actually went OUT out at New Year was, I believe, 2002/2003, where I started off at a party in someone's flat but somehow ended up outside in the Merchant City, freezing my tits off and thoroughly confused because I snogged a guy (the one who thought my boobs were boring) for the second time, but it was right after he'd snogged his gay male flatmate. This was followed by it starting to piss down with rain, me feeling sick because I'd drank WAAAAYYYY too much, and me waking over on my friend's couch the following morning with the hangover from hell.

So I don't really fancy going out this year.

But, on the other hand, I don't really fancy staying in either.

I'll have to make up my mind, and start making a definite plan soon though. It's getting ever closer . . .

I think this has officially been the quickest year of my life.

Does anyone else have plans for New Year yet???

11 comments:

  1. No plans here! And I'm not that big of a New Year's Eve fan myself...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My last New Year's Eve was....eventful but it was the same as any other night out, people just partied a little harder.

    This year, I will be spending New Year'sEve in Cuba, which should be a little more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a fan of New Years Eve either. Quiet night would be my choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like New Years is the one night that no matter what I plan, I end up being disappointed...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree with you about NYE. So overpriced and overrated. So much pressure to make it unforgettable, when sometimes it's just a hot mess you pray you'll forget. I like the idea of staying in with good friends and sharing booze.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to work the next day at 6am so I thankfully don't have to worry about plans. I never can find something as fabulous as in the movies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't stand New Years Eve! I will be staying in, with some nice food and drink!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We usually end up going out but last year went to a friends party instead. SO MUCH easier! Going out is so expensive and crowded and like you said, cold! It's way over rated in my book. Hopefully we'll be staying in or going to a friends house again this year. Now I sound old. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hate NYE its always such a massive let down. Friends end up arguing, you have to pay to get into pubs in Cheltenham where the drink prices have been ramped up and when you geo out in a big group everyone agrguning about where to go so I usually end up stomping off home before midnight as I'm fed up, drunk and tired.

    This year I’ll probably stay in!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing this Hogmanay. I think that I'm invited to a party in Hamilton - which will be super interesting, to say the least!

    xXx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, going out for New Year's is always lame. It's too expensive, everywhere is crowded, and even if you have an okay time, the high level of anticipation kills it.

    All of my best New Year's Eves have been spent at friend's houses, hanging out and drinking, playing board games, eating great food, and just chatting with some of my favorite people. I like to think of New Year's as the Christmas you get to spend with your friends. A time for casualness and warmth and a little bit of booze.

    I'd go so far as to say I never plan on going out for New Year's Eve again. The alternative is so much more fun! (This year, for example, my "inner circle" of six friends is all flying from various places around the globe to meet up at a friend's place in Connecticut. I couldn't be more psyched.)

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)