Thursday, 1 October 2009

(ALMOST) "THIRTY, FLIRTY AND THRIVING" . . .





A couple of months ago, one of my colleagues had a book about zombies in work. Not really anything I've ever been interested in before, but there was a section at the back about documented histories of zombie attacks. One was about a ship full of prisoners, long ago - one of the staff must have been infected, the zombie-ness (if that's a word) quickly spread through the ship and reached the chained up prisoners, passing along the chain. The writer of the book noted the terror those at the end of the chain probably felt, seeing their fate coming towards them and not being able to do anything to avoid it.

Do I have a point here?

I suppose, in a way, I've felt like this about turning 30. Not the utter horror of the poor prisoners who became zombies, obviously (I'm really hoping one of the disadvantages of turning 30 isn't becoming a zombie) but when you have a lot of friends on facebook that you went to school with, you see it coming. Each week there's a status update from someone saying they can't believe they're leaving their twenties behind, a plethora of "Happy 30th" messages and then eventually they say "Oh it's not so bad." They've accepted their fate. I guess it's time for me to accept mine.

Just the idea of me not being a twenty-something anymore though . . . it's scary. I don't remember feeling like this when I moved from my teens into my twenties. But this is a whole different ball game. This is a GROWN UP decade. I'm not sure I'm quite ready to grow up yet.

But on the other hand, when I look back on how I started my twenties . . . I realise I've come a long way. Particularly in terms of confidence. I used to be barely able to speak to guys . . . now I've morphed into s bit of a flirt. I used to think I would NEVER get a job (apart from my one short stiny working in a bakers shop) . . . now I've had millions.

I may not entirely LIVE like someone who is about to hit her thirties. The majority of items I wrote a year ago about why I don't feel like a grown-up still hold true.

But I can work on that.

In the meantime though, I'm going to try my best to continue having fun.

Plus I got ID'd last week, which means I clearly don't LOOK my age.

Which is of course the most important thing of all...

11 comments:

  1. I totally hear you on this - I've been watching them drop like flies around me and let's just say some have handled it better than others! LIke the episode of Friends where they all turn 30 and Joey freaks out big time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I think I actually do understand what you mean, after all, one doesn't need to be there in order to feel as if one was in there :P It might be cliche, but one is the age one feels...and I think you feel like 21 :P so may this new year come with good things like more youth and more wine, you'll be ok P..:D (and in some years you'll have to comfort me :P)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know exactly how you feel. I refused to celebrate my 30th. REFUSED. And, I was pretty much a 'grown up' in the ways that most people define it. Married, two children a home, blah, blah, blah BUT I did not want to be 30! Then, Oh, my God, I thought I was going to die, I mean DIE when I turned 40. I did not celebrate that birthday either. Then, my mom told me to "get over myself" because the alternative to not turning 40 is actually DEATH. GOD LOVE MY MOTHER. Anyways, I know she is right, but I guarantee you I will still be a bitch when I turn 50 in 6 years! I know exactly how you feel, exactly!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have the same birthday as Professor McGonagle from Harry Potter.

    Not the year of birth, obviously.

    And The Donnas are all 29 / 30 and they're still hot and partying.

    In my mind, this means all will be fine.

    You're only as old as the guy you're feeling. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. DUH.

    Also, I LOVE that movie. Guilty pleasure what??

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm 25 ( almost ) 26 so maybe i'm not close enough to 30 to see it.... but i dont get what the big deal is. I'm wishing you a happy birthday of course Paula, but i just dont see the whole " argh - 30!!!!" thing. It sjust another birthday, another year.

    To me, you should treat every birthday and every year as an opportunity to evolve, so 30 shouldnt be anything special.

    Try and enjoy it - yea?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww, I love that movie. I kind of want to watch it now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am turning 30 in a couple of weeks.... not sure how I feel about it... what I do know is that I will be consuming mass amounts of liquor to bring in my 30's

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad someone else discusses zombies with their co-workers. We had a pretty serious discussion about a week ago about surviving a zombie attack.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a month away from turning 19 and I can't believe in a year I'll be 20. TWENTY. I'll have lived 20 years. I start to feel fucking old.

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)