Monday, 3 August 2009

BACK IN THE COUNTRY . . .

I had a great time on holiday, although many things went wrong. I'll go into that later. The main thing i wanted to mention was the terrorist attack that occurred in the very resort I was staying in on Thursday.

Back in 2003, my parents went to Benidorm, and while they were there 3 bombs exploded in various hotels. It seems a long time ago now, I can't even remember whether people were hurt, or killed or both. The thing was though, I didn't know about it when it happened. I'm not very good when it comes to the news. I've admitted that before. But I remember that my parents were the last to know about it pretty much, despite being nearby.

That is pretty much what happened to me in Majorca. We didn't know anything was wrong until my flatmate text me on Friday morning to ask if we were okay as a car bomb had killed two policemen in Palmanova - which was where we were. This had happened on the Thursday afternoon. The next thing my brother in law had phoned my sister to check we were okay, then Mich text me too to check I was okay.

We honestly hadn't a clue. People in the next resort said they had heard the explosion. We had heard nothing. The airport had been closed down for several hours. We knew bugger all about that either. On Friday, not long after we found out, a German journalist tried to interview us as we lay on the beach. We didn't co-operate. What could we say? We hadn't known anything about it until an hour or so beforehand. Even now, I still don't really understand what went on.

All I know is its weird to be so close to something like that . . . and yet only find out when someone back home tells you. Just shows sometimes you can be right in the thick of something and have no clue at all . . .

8 comments:

  1. Eek it was scary stuff - I understand how amazing (for lack of a better word) it is that you can be somewhere and not really be aware of what's going on.
    When I stayed a few hundred metres away from the Stockline Plastics factory when there was the explosion - I was in my room, with the windows open and HEARD it... my curtains billowed a little (impressive considering that my room faced the opposite direction of the factory), and even though it was a gorgeous day I just assumed it was thunder. It was only when I left an hour later for college that I saw the news crews, ambulances, police, fire services... it was crazy and so surreal. You never assume the worst.

    In regards to us hearing about the bombings abroad though, all I know is that the Daily Record stuck to interviewing Scottish tourists and trolled the local Scottish pubs to talk to the ex-pat's. I think there are suspicions that more things have been happening or at least attempted since then as well. Just glad you both got back okay! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god! That IS scary. The ETA always makes this kind of scary acts, and it's really dangerous. Glad you're fine though :)

    PS. Glad to have you back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were there last year (Palmanova) and you just wouldn't expect something like that to happen in 'Little Britain'. Glad you're safe and well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you were knowhere near it! I did strangely think of you when i heard about it (plus all the other folk i knew were in Mallorca at the time).

    Scary, evil people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear you are ok! It is so sad that the world has come to this. Horrific really!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should try working in Washington DC and people from California call you all the time because they saw on the news that the Captial building or something was evacuated etc. Really crazy.

    Glad to hear that you are okay. Hope you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is kind of surreal. And you wouldn't know whether to be kind of scared or just surprised or what. Very weird!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That would be kind of odd - your loved ones being all in a panic and there you are, blissfully unaware.

    I guess that goes to show either the media makes too big a fuss sometimes, or the Majorcan authorities didnt think it serious enough to spread the word...

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)