Sunday, 28 June 2009

WHAT WAS I DOING WHEN MJ DIED???



Normally I would be all over the internet on a Thursday night and would probably have been one of the first to know when Jacko died. Instead . . . I was sort of on a date and therefore ignoring internet land.

The first I knew about his death was when we woke up the next morning and the guy found a text on his phone sent by one of his friends the night before saying "Jacko is dead?" Immediately I checked on my phone, saw the headline and switched on the TV, still scarcely believing it could be true. Yet it was. As I got ready for work, we watched the news. Someone was on it saying it was like when Princess Diana died - we would all be speaking about what we were doing when MJ died. "What WERE we doing when he died?" I asked innocently. At this point, in among all the shock, we couldn't help but laugh at that statement.

All jokes aside though, it's hard to believe he is gone. I still can't quite get my head around the fact. The only good thing about it is that its been a total Michael Jackson back catalogue frenzy around here this weekend. In MacSorleys on Friday night it was constant Michael Jackson songs on a loop all night. There was a point when half the people in the pub were joining hands and swaying along to "Heal the World" while singing at the top of our lungs. It was a real bonding experience.

Last night I was at a flatwarming and once again the Michael Jackson albums were brought out. And the music channels have been embracing the vibe too, with constant videos. And we all know he was the king of the music video. Absolutely awesome!

RIP MJ . . .

11 comments:

  1. Hello. Nice blog. But am I ever tired of hearing about Michael Jackson. Lol. Just thought I'd let somebody know that. Finally. For once and for all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was on twitter! (like everyone else)

    We had MJ parties this weekend too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's just like that to. People will remember where they were when he died. Just like lady Di. It so sad, what a loss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was sleeping, and as soon as I got up, I learned about it from Twitter.

    And you were making dirty things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was sitting in a meeting, reading Twitterberry (which I should not have been doing) and heard the initial news. Pretty much as soon as I got back I kept checking news sites, along with everyone I worked with. Sad day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish you'd been on twitter when the news broke. It was crazy. The only good thing about this has been listening to all the MJ hits.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was getting drunk with friends, but I guess it doesn't beat you :) Went straight to bed when I came back and only found out in the morning. Yep, it's kinda bonding - every conversation I've had ever since Thursday started with: MJ died!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was out drinking with friends - the night before my graduation! Suddenly wasn't in the mood to party. Went home and watched the news with a friend. Have been listening to his records ever since. What an amazing man, what a talent - and he broke down barriers that I wasn't even aware of. Who cares about his eccentricities. He was the first person the transcended colour, because he was colourless - but only in skin tone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Personally, I love your comment "I was sort of on a date" and fast forward to next morning when you both found out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heh. Cute story. At least you'll always have your memories!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love michael i still cant believe hes dead! what a shock!

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)