Monday, 9 February 2009

WINTER WEAR . . .

Every bloody year, just when I think it can't get any colder . . . it does. I just saw another bloody headline on yahoo there . . . something about Britain facing further Arctic weather. Big woo!!! I mean, personally, I cannot get ENOUGH of the cold weather. Bring it on, I want it to be colder!

I just remembered it's not always easy to detect sarcasm in written form.

(Yes, in case you missed it, the first paragraph featured some mild sarcasm.)

So anyway, I am like the worst person EVER to be born in Scotland. I think I am like a Spanish person or something trapped in a Scottish body. Because I always think it's hotter outside than it actually is (until I get OUTSIDE, obviously). Like, when someone says to me, "dress up warm", I immediately cover my short sleeved flimsy top with a . . . three quarter length sleeved flimsy cardigan. And perhaps one of those scarves that doesn't actually serve the purpose of keeping you warm, but is there purely for decoration. And I nearly ALWAYS forget to put socks on. (Possibly on purpose, I admit. I hate socks. Unless they're fluffy bedsocks to wear around the house.)

And then I wonder why I'm so freaking cold!!!

A heatwave I can always handle. I have more than enough clothes to keep me going for the sunshine. Hell, when I go on holiday I can only take about a quarter of my "sunshine" clothes. But bring on a cold snap??? I go to pieces. I have no idea what I can wear to keep me warm. I have people saying to me "Aren't you FREEZING in that?" (Er, yes! Rub it in!) And SHOES??? Don't even get me started on those. As you probably know I bought my UGG boots to keep my feet warm, only to discover they weren't made for slippery ground. So what do I wear instead? I wore trainers to work today and the snow seeped through and I STILL didn't feel safe on my feet. If I wear ballet pumps, I can just about balance but I hate wearing the dreaded socks with them therefore with cold feet. And OBVIOUSLY, I can't wear heels. Because I can barely walk in them at the BEST of times! Add snow or ice into the equation and that would equal disaster.

The conclusion? Either summer better turn up, like, TOMORROW . . .

Or?

I'm on the next plane to Tenerife.

14 comments:

  1. Ugh, winter wardrobe is the worst! You can never get the layer equation right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will join you on that plane. Horrible weather!! As for the ice/shoe issue - I have looked a bonny bugger in my tights, dress, nice coat and spotted wellies!! Very professional!

    Bring on summer (or at least double-figure temps - I will take 10C over minus temps anyday!)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've always said i would rather die in the desert than in the arctic. i love the sun, the glorious heat it radiates, and the general summer season. winter can just go f*ck itself for all i care (excuse the language). i think it's absolutely ridiculous that i have to put up with cold, snow, ice, rain, cold, wet, slippery, cold, snow, and daily crap weather for half the year. HALF THE YEAR!!

    someday, i will live in a place where the words "snow" and "cold" don't exist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always so flipping cold outside and then when you get to work it's hot cuz they have the heat cranked up.

    What about some cute leather boots for the cold? Maybe flats?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like these:

    http://www.ninewest.com/Cheryl/2984643,default,pd.html?cgid=1039

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear that, well, except for the snow part...because I come from a very snow free part of Australia. But I don't need snow to assist in my spills on the pavement. I still manage just fine to select the wrong shoes, like some little slip ones, which result in my falling over and ripping my pants at both knees.

    I am also VERY well known to go outside with short sleeve tops on in the middle of winter, you'd think I would learn my lesson, but definitely not. Every single year! haha. I will say, I also hear that basic same quote ALL THE TIME, "you must be freezing your butt off!"

    "Eh, nah duh...thanks..."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, so this post made me fear about what's expecting me in France next winter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. gosh I hate dressing up for winter, the worse is when you want to go out and party but need to pack yourself in like a sleeping bag to face the cold

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tennerife it is then!! :o)

    Have you thought of investing in some weelies??? They are usuallu water proof and you can then change into your lovely ballet shoes when you arrive at work!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Come and live in Spain near me!! woo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't even know where Tenerife is. But can I come too? Fuck this arctic British weather. Errgh.

    -Miss Em x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't even know where Tenerife is. But can I come too? Fuck this arctic British weather. Errgh.

    -Miss Em x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I despise socks, too. As soon as it hits April, I'm done with them for as long as I can manage.

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)