Thursday, 29 January 2009

WHY EMAILING CAN SUCK AS A FORM OF GIVING BAD NEWS . . .

The other night I'd emailed my mum the link to the funny complaint letter and last thing before I went to sleep yesterday I had logged onto my email just to check and see if she had replied yet.

She didn't like the letter apparently, didn't find it all that funny. But it was what she said next that shook me up more than I would have thought possible.

My granda was fixing something in the bath on Monday night and fell when he was getting out of it, doing something to his arm or shoulder in the process. It took him ages to manage to get himself up due to the fact one of his arms was useless but he managed eventually to get to the phone and dial 999.

Obviously he is okay, although he has his arm in a sling and they had to pop it back into place or something like that. My mum says he is more worried that he won't really be able to wash for the next few days than the actual pain - because he doesn't have anyone to tell him if he smells or not. I think it was that thought, on top of the image of my granda (who always seemed like the strong, infallible one of all my grandparents) helpless on the floor of his bathroom with no one to help him, that drove me over the edge.

I couldn't stop crying. I actually put my laptop off and cried myself to sleep. I haven't cried this much in ages. Probably since nearly a year ago now when everything went wrong at once.

I still feel like anything could set me off even this morning. I'm getting ready for work and I just wish I didn't have to go. If I get any of the usual crap, or even any UNusual crap, then I'm liable to snap.

I really hope he is going to be alright.

13 comments:

  1. I'm sorry, Paula. That's very difficult. I hope you get through the day okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh dear paula, i really hope he recovers soon :( Does he have emergency alarms in his house incase anything happens again? My grandma has a bell string whcih she can pull if she gets into difficulty when in the bath or in bed etc.. Maybe worth looking into xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw that is really heartbreaking, I hope he's okay! I agree, I think email is such a terrible way to send bad news.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really sorry to hear that- Here's hoping he pulls through.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear that! At least he is ok and the worst he's worried about is washing himself! My boyfriend's grandma fell out of bed the other week and it scared the hell out of all of us. It's definitely a horrible feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dag. That's amazing that he was able to get up. I had an incident one time where Dan's grandma tripped over a bag that was on the floor and fell over some chairs and couldn't get up. No one was there either but luckily the phone was next to her and she was able to call for help.

    ReplyDelete
  7. so sorry to hear about your grandpa, that is heartbreaking. I hope your day goes by well and that he will be alright and you feel better. *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope he is feeling better. My thoughts are with you and your family right now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww. :( I hope he gets better soon and I hope you've had a good day today. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  10. *Hugs* I'm so sorry! I hope your grandpa is okay and gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lots of hugs sent your way!!!

    Oh, and in my experience, grandpas are always stubborn and these things worry us more than them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How awful for you, I hope everything works out for the best for everyone.

    It would devastate me if the same thing were to happen to my pop :(

    -Miss Em x

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)