So last week Angela from Angelaboration tagged me for a meme (and I've just discovered Katie tagged me too!), to state six random facts about myself. I didn't quite get around to doing it at the time, but here it is now . . .
1. I rarely have a clue what's going on in the news. It's ridiculous. I mean, I consider myself to be an educated person, yet I rarely pick up a newspaper, instead turning to celebrity magazines, and I hardly ever watch the news unless I can't be bothered changing the channel after one of my favourite programmes. I could tell you Jennifer Aniston's latest diet but I didn't actually even KNOW Saddam Hussein had been sentenced to death until approximately three days after he was dead!!! The main way I get my news fix is if a headline catches my eye when I'm logging into my yahoo email account BUT, if I DO see an interesting headline, I become obsessed with the story in question. So it's probably a GOOD thing I don't look at the news much!!!
2. I don't really like speaking on the phone. Which is a bit weird for a girl, I've always felt. As a kid, while all my friends would have hour long gossips at night on the phone, I just couldn't see the point. I'd run out of things to say, unable to tell people's real reactions to snippets of news without being able to see their expressions. I dry up in conversation easily at the best of times, with only a voice to play off I'm an absolute nightmare. Text messaging is another story, as is email - I can talk all I want but if I can't be bothered replying, it's much easier. And regular conversation, I'm all for THAT too. But telephone conversations??? I prefer to avoid them as much as possible . . .
3. I've had approximately fifteen jobs. And I'm talking full time jobs, not little bits of jobs to support myself through uni or whatever. Okay, a lot of those have been temporary positions, but most of them were at least several months long. My cv includes me working for John Lewis department store, directory enquiries, various universities in Glasgow, Scottish Power and many more. Oh, and it also included a stint of me working for a criminal. Long story . . .
4. I can't really trace my roots and this irritates me a little. Or maybe it's just I wish I had more interesting ones than I actually do. My surname is English, as far as I'm aware (that's from the one non-Catholic quarter of my family) and I ASSUME the remaining three quarters are Irish but that's a guess rather than anything else. I would love to be one of those people who had a really interesting heritage like "Oh yes, Paula's mum is half Italian and half Spanish and her dad is half Russian and half Serbian" (I bet I would be a lot more interesting LOOKING too if that was the case) but instead I appear to be pretty much 100% Scottish. Boring...
5. Speaking of being Scottish, here's a shameful secret. Despite living in Scotland for my entire 29 (eek!) years, and having visited tons of places in England over the years I have never been further North than Dundee. I've never even been to . . . LOCH NESS - gasp!!! I've also never been to any of the islands dotted around the coast. I also don't know if I have any particular desire to go. One of my friends is from Inverness, so I might get there eventually. For certain reasons (which will remain known only to myself!!!) I REALLY don't fancy Aberdeen though . . .
6. And while we're on the subject of travelling, between the ages of 11 and 25, I didn't set foot on a plane. My family didn't really go on holidays abroad and if we did they were coach tours. I didn't really mind as I'm not a great flier myself (if I had wings, that might be another story . . . ) and it was only when I went to the Costa del Sol with my mum and brother in 2005 that I started to fly again. I'm certainly catching up on 14 years of being a non-flier though as I've been on flights twice a year since for various reasons, and that's me just returned from my sixth return journey via air this year. Go me!!!
I'm not big on tagging people, but what the hell, I'm still on holiday mode and hopefully people will do it if they want. If you have already done it, apologies, but I'm sure you could come up with another six facts anyway if you wanted to. That's the beauty of this kinda thing isn't it??? The more random facts you can come up with the more fun it is . . .
4. Miss Em
6. Amanda Rae
So that's it. Anyway, I've gotta go finish (okay, START!) my unpacking - and if you thought I disliked PACKING, don't even get me started on UNpacking!!! I'm dire at it - like, so bad that when I went to pack for Fuerteventura, there was still stuff I hadn't unpacked from Barcelona (at the start of AUGUST!) in the case. Wow, that's a seventh fact for you right there. Oops. Anyway, I have some pics and stuff to upload so I'll tell you a bit more about my lovely holiday tomorrow. It SUCKS to be back . . .