Thursday, 4 September 2008

THE TRAGEDY OF THE SOUP . . .

I couldn't eat my lunch today.

I wanted to, believe me! It looked absolutely delicious - thai chicken flavour, the fresh stuff that comes in the bottle; for once, I'd thrown caution and expense out of the window and went for that, rather than my usual tinned variety. Since I'd been out late last night and therefore had no time to make something, I decided to decant half of it into a plastic tub and microwave it in work.

By the time midday rolled around, I cannot describe how much I was looking forward to it. I went to the office's kitchen and took it out my lunch bag excitedly, hoping no one could hear my stomach rumble. I meant to take the lid off the top of the tub and replace it loosely like I usually do but I was a bit distracted. The guy next to me was putting me off as he prepared his own microwave ready meal with the dedication and obsession of a contestant on Masterchef desperate to win the approval of the judges (seriously, dude, a microwave meal is not gonna swing the prize!). He had it constantly in and out of the microwave, lifting the film lid up, leaning over and stirring it frantically, putting it back in for like ten seconds and taking it out again . . . and so on. I was more than a little freaked out and felt like if I stood next to him too long this strange obsessive compulsive behaviour might be catching so I practically threw my tub into the other microwave, stuck it on for two minutes and walked off to chat to my colleagues.

Ding! The microwave part over with (and the microwave freak long gone, thankfully!) I retrieved my tub of soup, which looked amazing and smelled great too . . . only to find I could not prise the lid from it!!! I tried everything, wedging the edges of knives under it, leaving it to cool for a while . . . letting other people try. Nothing would budge that lid. It was one of those cases of "so near and yet so far". It just looked amazing, I was practically salivating at how gorgeous it appeared . . . but I couldn't eat it!!! It was like being subjected to torture, or seeing the perfect dress for your night out in a shop window ten minutes after the shop had closed. I could have cried!

I ended up eating a packet of Quavers instead. It soooo was not the same . . .

Three days off for me now - fabulous! I was having a crap day anyway on top of the soup incident, slightly bored, hungry (obviously!), getting accused of doing things I hadn't done (which is unbelievably frustrating when you can't prove otherwise), being a tad hungover (which made the starvation even worse!) . . .

Anyway, I have this song playing on repeat on my walkman at the moment . . . I'm not sure why. But I've always loved it, can't believe how old it is now, a good fifteen years anyway!!! Scary, right???

10 comments:

  1. I think we both know that I SO know how you feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the only solution is getting it really hot again so you can pry the melted plastic apart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally would have cracked out a pair of scissors and chopped the lid to pieces. I may or may not have been forced to do this for some overzealous security wrapping on a tub of pesto sauce. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw lame! You should have taken scissors to it. Or maybe a saw?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scissors? knife? Any sharp object? ;) u poor thing

    ReplyDelete
  6. The most ironic thing was that last week I kept taking my corkscrew to work by accident. THAT might have come in handy . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. You poor girl. I echo others in saying that I would have pulled out scissors. Or I would have found a machete. That soup sounds too good not to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm tempted to say that should be a cheer me up tuesday post cuz I laughed the whole way through.

    ReplyDelete
  9. poor thing!

    p.s- what are quavers???

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh this made me sooo sad! I would have probably cried, especially if I were hung over.

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)