Wednesday, 10 September 2008

SEVEN YEARS ON . . .

Seven years ago tomorrow I had a job interview for a teenage magazine.

It was like THE BIGGEST DEAL OF MY LIFE. Seriously. For several reasons. For one thing, it was one of the first job interviews I'd had since I graduated with my marketing degree. For another, it was a MAGAZINE. Finally, it was based in Dundee. Which, to me, meant I would probably have to move there - I've never been very good at commuting, and nearly two hours on a train would not work for me.

Anyway . . .

It's weird cos I remember so much about that day. The fact my dad made sure I got to Queen Street Station okay and basically put me on the train to Dundee (my sense of direction is awful). I remember getting totally lost on the way to the building DC Thompson was housed in, despite studying a printed out map religiously on the long train ride. I remember what I was wearing (I'm not going to describe it. it WASN'T good), my make up and my hair style.

I remember the interview was a bit of a nightmare - the woman asked me who I would interview and I said Destiny's Child since they were big in 2001. And then she asked what I would dress them in if I had to do a fashion shoot with them and I really didn't have a clue so I blurted out "lilac trousers" for some unknown reason. I think I knew at that point I didn't have the job.

I remember the fact I was DESPERATE for the toilet by the time the interview ended but so embarrassed at how badly it went that I didn't have the nerve to ask where their toilet was. I ended up going to the main shopping centre in Dundee and finding it there instead. I remember being on the train home and the book I was reading ("Flavor of the Month" by the late great Olivia Goldsmith). I even recall going to Hamilton post office to buy postal orders and having an awkward encounter with a girl who used to be my best friend in primary school.

It's funny because although I have a great memory, day-to-day things generally fall by the wayside.

But not that day.

I remember I had ran into my friend from school about two-ish and then headed home to have a bath. And it was while I was in the bath that my mum got home and told me that some planes had crashed into the World Trade Centre.

Despite my knowledge of geography, this didn't mean much to me.

I assumed she meant light planes with just a few passengers. And despite my good geographical knowledge, I didn't actually realise many people worked in the World Trade Centre. I actually thought it was kinda like the Eiffel Tower.

It was only as the aftermath unfolded that I realised the consequences of what happened:

I realised that tens of THOUSANDS of people actually worked in the World Trade Centre.

It hit me for definite that a large proportion of these people had not left the towers alive.

I discovered, for the first time, who Osama bin Laden was.

Even now, I find it hard to get my head around the whole event. I'm sure I'm not the only one. Let's face it, it struck the whole world. Hard. Everything else that has happened since then, even the horrific things that have happened in London during the terrorist atrocities in 2005, or the attempted attacks at Glasgow airport a year ago . . . they've not had quite the impact as 9/11. I can't define why this is, I'm useless at historical and political stuff . . . I just know that since the events of September 11th 2001, I don't feel quite as safe as I did. I watched the news virtually non stop for two or three weeks after it happened - I've lost count of the number of times I watched the planes strike the Twin Towers but even now I can't get my head around it. I witnessed a friend of mine of Indian descent being abused because people saw the colour of her skin and associated her with terrorists. I know even years later we're still seeing the after effects of this event and it terrifies me.

It's really not like me to be serious, and SERIOUSLY not like me to venture into this territory . . . but I felt like I couldn't not mention it.

14 comments:

  1. It certainly is a day that none of us will forget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's certainly a day that is going to stay in the memories of a LOT of people's lives. I know I won't forget it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the day perfectly too. What a horrible day and you're right - I think it changed something big.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to make my own post about this later tonight but you're right, thngs HAVE changed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, have just blogged about the same thing. I was the same. I remember that day so clearly. It's amazing how one day can change history and when you're living it, and realising that you are living a day that will be marked in history, it's an impossible concept to get your head around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's definitely something I won't forget either and it's important that no one does.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this day affected the whole world, I think reading your story is a wonderful thing in the sense of unity. We all have our memories from that day horrible as it was, for our generation we will be forever asked what we were doing the day of 9.11.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perhaps the world instantly knew that it was the start of a new era. And the Republicans instantly knew that they had their ticket into power, office, and unlimited access to drive this country poor.

    And yes, I also remember the rampant stereotypes running around the streets and people of Indian and Egyptian and Afghani descent having to suffer by it. It was quite angering. I'm sorry you didn't get that job with the magazine.

    By the way, on your playlist, Biffy Clyro does a great cover of "Umbrella", especially when he changes the second verse. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep. I can recall where I was, too. I remember when I got home Nanny made me stop watching the news because I was so absorbed into what happened. Years after, all my history teachers on this day put on a 9/11 video tape with interviews, commentary, pictures, video tape - the whole 9 yards - for us to watch. And every year I cried watching it.

    I'm really glad you did this post because it reminded me of how I felt back then before the world new how it vulnerable it was to foreign attack. Before I even knew how vulnerable I was.

    It's an interesting feeling to see how far we've come emotionally as individuals. The way I felt before 9/11 is totally different than the way I feel now. It's almost like I'm a completely different person. More cynical. More conservative than ever. More worried.

    But to be honest, you're the only person who has said anything about 9/11 today. And you're not even American.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is my new favorite post of yours=) It made me a little teary actually.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know. Tell me about it. I didn't know what to write about today but I knew I couldn't ignore this day. So i just wrote from the heart. I hope we all take a moment to remember today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is funny how what we did that day is so ingrained in our mind. Hard to believe it has been seven years.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not gonna lie, I thought for awhile I'd like to work for a teenage mag. You know the male's who have a column and give advice to girls?

    I still think it'd be pretty sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 9/11 is to Gen Y what the JFK assassination is to our parents. I think everyone can tell you exactly where they were when they heard.

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)