Wednesday, 17 September 2008

FISTICUFFS AT DAWN . . .

I have a tendency to suffer severe rage at other people, particularly when they get in my way. Words that frequently emerge in a furious undertone from my mouth are phrases such as "I swear to GOD, if she does not get out of my personal space RIGHT NOW, I will snap her in half like a twig." I'm possibly not really capable of this, but in my head I am.

Back when I was a kid, a couple of the boys in school called me Tyson. I think they meant this ironically, in retrospect, but at the time I thought I was pretty damn tough. Possibly T-U-F-F rather than T-O-U-G-H. I would sort of square up to them and kinda jump up and down with my fists pointed at them. Did I actually HIT them? Of course not. I didn't want to get, like SUSPENDED or something. Plus they were BOYS - if they hit back??? Really, I just wanted some attention when it came down to it.

Anyway, today I was having an argument with a couple of male friends over whether or not I could beat someone up. They seemed rather doubtful of my ability. Okay, so I've never HAD to do it. But I believe I COULD, and isn't that the important thing??? The BELIEF you can lamp someone if you had to, or have them doubled over in pain? I may not be the type to throw the first punch, but I am pretty sure I could defend myself should the need arise.

Can you imagine it? Me going "Yes, I know tae-bo" (in the same smug way someone might say "I'm a black belt, you know" before roundhousing your head off) and then launching into some routine straight from the dvd- say two knee lifts, a side kick and a punch, which all miss their target because I'm not used to actually hitting anyone, despite constantly imagining certain person's faces in my head when I right hook and upper-cut thin air.

Okay, perhaps nix the tae-bo idea, but I could certainly inflict some damage I think. I may only be small but I believe I would pack a powerful punch.

No???

10 comments:

  1. Haha, just ask them to stand still first, while you bust out your routine!!
    Sadly, I couldn't not beat anyone up. Not even a 10-year old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh...you always gotta throw the first punch.

    i learned that the hard way...more than once.
    you could say i haven't really learned it

    ReplyDelete
  3. I reckon you could give it a red hot go - besides, girls dont have to fight clean. YOu could throw a few punches but when it comes down to it you can scratch, bite, pull hair.... not that i've ever done it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never had the guts to get into a fight or punch someone. I would love to. I think it would be so invigorating. But I'm a wimp. And I don't think I could do much damage anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had nightmares that I have to fight someone and I couldn't so I'm probably the wrong person to ask.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with you!! I think that if I ever had to, I could definitely break someone's nose. Or give them a black eye. Or something.
    And I actually do tend to get rather violent when drunk... my ex-boyfriend did not appreciate that when we fought... haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. all I know is when a womans pissed off and wants to beat someone up, she can, that sort of rage can take on the world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yah. I agree with Chele. If someone makes you mad enough, you could definintely inflict some serious pain.

    I know when I'm doing taekwondo or serving a volleyball I always pretend it's something I hate.
    Works pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think people underestimate the strenght of girls. I know you could kick some ass, especially if they let their guard down.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also suffer rage when people get in my way and piss me off at the wrong time. I call her...Rage Girl. I've been told by multiple people that I'm petite but could take down anyone with my rage inside.

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)