Sunday, 27 April 2008

I HATE CONFUSING ENDINGS!!!

The other night I was over at a friend's and arrived midway through the film "Adrift" on the telly. You know the one that's like "Open Water 2" - the friends who all jump off their yacht without lowering the ladder (duh!!) and end up stuck in the sea while one of the girls has a baby still on board, and they can't get back onto the boat? Anyway, for some reason I was getting quite into it . . . then the ending was so ambiguous, it made me HATE the film.

I have tried so hard to work out what the ending actually MEANT cos it was as if there was essentially two endings, and I'm not entirely sure which one was meant to be the true one. So weird. I have looked up the net and cannot find any definite answers, only speculation.

Why do directors do this? Fair enough if there was a decent explanation for it somewhere to find, that could make you look back at the film and say "ah, I see!" But there isn't. It's just deliberately misleading, from the looks of it just to leave it open for a potential sequel I suppose.

But I can't stop worrying about that poor baby . . .

Anyone seen this film that can shed any light on the ending?

7 comments:

  1. Never seen it. My guess is the baby grows up somehow and becomes one with the ocean or wherever it is and lives with the monsters trying to kill them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never seen it. My guess is the baby grows up somehow and becomes one with the ocean or wherever it is and lives with the monsters trying to kill them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the baby is rescued and lives happily ever after...with a horrible fear of ladders.

    And really, could you blame it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard about this movie and the really confusing end. I need to see it and get back to you on that

    ReplyDelete
  5. "... the friends who all jump off their yacht without lowering the ladder and end up stuck in the sea while one of the girls has a baby still on board, and they can't get back onto the boat?"

    I'm afraid your brief synopsis above tells me all I need to know about this film - i.e. it's complete bawz!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's rubbish. Though one of the girls is quite hot and gets nekkid.

    What happens is she gets back on, sees the guy drifting off in the sudden storm that appears out of nowhere and then jumps back in to save him and they drown.

    Basically they all die apart from the baby. I had no sympathy for any of the characters and frankly the baby could've gone down as well and I'd've not cared.

    Oh yeah, this is not a good date movie. Trust me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. it's just the bit at the end, where the guy on the boat appears and can't see anyone on the boat, then hears the crying baby. then cut to the girl who just jumped in standing on the boat, looking at the guy she tried to save who is lying on the deck of the boat. so how do we KNOW they are dead???

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)