Monday, 30 October 2017

P'S 2017 READING CHALLENGE . . . PART 5!

So we're on to part 5 of my reading challenge . . . and this may be a bit of a spoiler alert but I'm fairly sure I'm going to not only make it to 40 books but surpass it. I've just totted up the books I read while in Ibiza and I'm now at 39!!! To be fair, once again my reading has slowed right down since then, but I'm fairly confident now I will beat 40.



Anyhoo, we need to rewind a bit for now and here are books 21 - 25 from this year's reading challenge!


Hot Mess - Lucy Vine

This book was a bit of an anti-romantic comedy; it was definitely more about the comedy and less about the romance, but I loved it. Ellie is our heroine here and she is having no luck finding a man . . . in fact nothing in her life is going smoothly. But hey, wouldn't that make for a boring read?! Great wee read, I breezed through it in less than two days. 9/10


Big Sexy Love - Kirsty Greenwood

Kirsty Greenwood has never disappointed me when it comes to reading (and also being a totally genuine and funny human) and this book was no exception. Olive is a girl who is very much stuck in her comfort zone . . . but is thrust completely out of it, and into New York city on her lonesome, thanks to the love she has for her best friend.  Cue many hilarious mishaps, a dash of romance, and the absolutely loveliness that is true friendship . . . a must read. Someone gave her an absolutely horrendous review of it on amazon recently . . . I genuinely think they must have been reading the wrong book because I would give it more than five stars if I could. One of my favourite books of 2017! 10/10


Unrequited Alice - Sarah Louise Smith

Unrequited love is tough. It's especially tough when the love of your life is about to marry your best friend, as Alice is finding out. But on the hen weekend in Canada, she meets Toby . . . who has pretty much exactly the same problem as she does. But can they help each other or will they just hinder the other? I enjoyed finding out. 7/10


Stuck With You - Carla Burgess

I actually mistakenly thought that this entire book was going to feature the two main characters stuck in a lift together. I was wrong. The lift encounter, where Elena meets the guy she had a massive crush on in high school, was over very quickly and was probably the most dramatic bit of the book. That being said, it was a low key but entertaining romance . . . I just kept expecting a twist or two and there really wasn't one. Still an enjoyable read! 6/10


Fitness Junkie - Lucy Sykes and Jo Piazza

I enjoy reading about diet and fitness - especially while eating junk food - so I knew this book would be right up my alley from the minute I spotted it online. It's the story of Janey, who is forced to try and drop some pounds when her best friend and business partner gives her an ultimatum . . . essentially he's a bit of a turd who tells her she's too fat to work with him in their wedding dress company. Anyway, she then tries out loads of different classes and techniques, and discovers the dark side of the dieting industry. This was a clever, entertaining novel, full of interesting characters, and I finished it not knowing whether I felt motivated to work out, or a bit disillusioned by the whole industry.  Oh . . . and where can I find a "bruffin"??? It's a brioche/muffin hybrid and I've no idea if it's real but I really hope it is... 8/10


So there we have it for another challenge post! And I still have material for nearly another three at the moment. I'll try not to leave too much of a break between these posts this time . . . I said try though. ;-)

What have you been reading recently?

No comments:

Post a Comment

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)