Monday, 4 September 2017

KAVOS: ONLY FOR THE YOUNGER CROWD?!?

One of my favourite places in the world is the Greek island of Corfu. I love Corfu so completely that I even raved about it last summer on this very blog.  I absolutely adore the place and myself and the fella have made the trip out there every year since our first sunshine holiday together in 2014. We'd earmarked a week at the end of August for another holiday with the aim of going to Corfu and were delighted, when we finally had the opportunity to book last month, to see that there were tons of bargain holidays for the island . . . but the cheapest by far were those in the party resort of Kavos.


Kavos was never going to be my first choice, let's be honest. I've had the dubious pleasure of watching a couple of episodes of "What Happens in Kavos" after all and cringed most of the way through it. I've never been a "party hard" sort of girl, even when I was young enough to go on an 18-30 holiday (for the record, in case you aren't aware, the age brackets for an 18-30 holiday are actually 17-35 . . . and I don't even meet those requirements anymore!). And, at the age of 37 and 3/4, I'm more of a have-a-couple-of-drinks-by-the-pool-go-out-for-dinner-then-fall-asleep-during-a-bottle-of-wine-in-the-apartment-later sort of girl. 

But then there was also the fact that, although the holidays to Corfu were relatively cheap, the ones to Kavos were by far the cheapest.  And I'm also one of those people who thinks it's really up to you how good your holiday is. Yes, you can have bad customer service or things can go wrong that you weren't anticipating, but largely it is what you make it . . . and sometimes when I see people moaning in bad reviews on Trip Advisor about their holidays I'm a bit unsympathetic because of this.

Anyway, we decided to go for Kavos. And I only had like five weeks to think about the decision but I did worry. And I jokingly would say to the fella "no matter what, I'll have to write a post about whether or not Kavos is just for the younger crowd" . . .

Personally, I'm happy to say it is not.

Yes, the apartments we chose to stay at were predominantly full of people in their late teens and twenties, yes. But it didn't bother us. And we were not the oldest by any means either. Which was very nice. But here are some of the advantages of not being in the younger crowd and going to Kavos . . .

1) Yes the hotel was cheap. But, in addition, we weren't spending massive amounts of money on foam parties or club nights. I took 300 euros with me, ate out every night, had breakfast/lunch in the hotel 3 times, had plenty of cocktails, wine and Mythos and came home with 30 euros. (I read a blog post somewhere prior to going that said if you were going for a "mad with it" time you'd need 750 euros for a week. Thank goodness I wasn't in that market!)

2) The reps didn't bother us. We had booked a "Scene" holiday through Thomson and I had checked to make sure there wasn't an upper age limit with this a la the aforementioned 18-30 holidays (which are Thomas Cook). There wasn't. But the reps did take one look at us and, although they were perfectly pleasant, they didn't do a hard sale on us. If we'd been younger, we'd have had to dodge the sales pitch and that's why sometimes being "old" pays off.

3) We didn't go out to the pool at ten am to discover most of the loungers were full. That's probably because our younger apartment dwellers were not sloping back in until five am in the morning and most of them didn't actually think to put their towels out before they went to sleep. We nearly always got a decently placed lounger, which would not have happened had the clientele been largely older than us. Trust me - I know!

4) We mostly got peace at the pool for a good hour or two before most of the residents woke up. It was amazing. Usually things didn't start to completely come to life until after 11am; by 2pm it would usually be quite noisy but as we tend to like to start and finish sunbathing earlyish it worked out great for us.

5) We got so many good deals on the food in Kavos. I guess because of the fact people probably drink and party more than they eat, the local tavernas were wanting to fill tables. We didn't actually know this until we were in most of the time, and were amazed to be leaving after two courses each, a litre carafe of wine and free garlic bread and dessert with a bill of just over 30 euros. Quality food as well.  It was incredible. In particular, check out Terry's, Pavlos and Aristos - I'd highly recommend all three of these amazing tavernas; fabulous service and we got delicious food for ridiculously low prices!

6) We luckily didn't get a lot of noise disturbance. We weren't right in the centre of the resort - we stayed in the Kavos Plaza (very nice apartments with a lovely bar and pool area) which was just at the edge of the resort. Kavos isn't a massive place, so everything was still in walking distance and the best of the tavernas were really close by. Some of the other apartments available were smack-bang in the middle of the resort so bear this in mind if you are looking to book. We weren't really bothered by much in the way of noise at all during the night, but it might be different if you are closer to the main action.  

7) The beaches were lovely. In our welcome meeting, the male rep had claimed the main beach wasn't that great but we thought it was really nice. There's also Arkoudilas beach, which is about a 45 minute walk and is gorgeous . . . however, we were plagued with wasps after walking all that way in ridiculous heat so I'd probably only recommend that if you aren't there in wasp season.

All in all, I 100 per cent feel you can totally come and not party in Kavos. I still don't think it would ever be my first choice, granted . .  but if you are looking for a week holiday for less than 300 pounds and you want a greek island experience without spending too much money while you are there . . . it's amazing! No matter what age you are.

Have you been?

3 comments:

  1. Love this post - I'm always wanting to go back to these sort of places but feel way too old which is absurd because I'm only 22! Will definitely consider it for next summer now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in Kavos when I was 20 & really can't imagine ever going back. My recollections include it having a rather pungent aroma lol glad you had fun.

    www.somethinginthewayshemoves.me

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never thought of going to Kavos before. Maybe one day!

    Christy x
    Dinner Stories

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)