Saturday, 8 July 2017

P'S TOP PICKS: BEST CHICK-FLICKS!

I love a good chick-flick - and I've watched quite a lot of them. (And by "quite a lot", I mean "millions"). So I thought I'd share my favourites with you lot, cos I'm generous like that! It was a bit difficult to narrow it down to ten, but I needed to choose a number, so ten it is!


1) Clueless

Now, Clueless is not just my favourite chick-flick, it is actually my favourite film in the whole world! I went to see it at the cinema with a couple of my schoolfriends when it came out back in 1995 (I know!) and I've been in love with it ever since. The amazing Alicia Silverstone plays Cher Horowitz, a pampered teen with a heart of gold. The lines are witty, the nineties fashion is fabulous, Paul Rudd is in it, and it's a modern day take on Jane Austen's Emma. What's not to love?!? If you haven't watched it before, you need to. If you have watched it before, you should watch it again. I'm quite tempted to watch it right now actually. Maybe once I've finished this post.


2) Mean Girls

This is undoubtedly my second favourite chick-flick after Clueless, and is probably up there in my top ten favourite films too. I find it hard to believe that there's anyone out there who hasn't watched this at least once.... but then my pole instructor only saw it for the first time the other week so I've already been proved wrong about that. So in case you haven't saw it before . . . Lindsay Lohan plays Cady, a home-schooled teen who goes to actual school for the first time and finds herself entering a popular clique led by the queen of the school Regina. However, all is not what it seems and Cady finds herself a double-agent working to bring Regina down after she is stabbed in the back by her (metaphorically, I should stress). Written by the amazing Tina Fey (who also pops up in it), this is a great, funny and fairly accurate look at the stress of being a teenage girl trying to fit in and it's bloody brilliant!


3) 13 Going on 30

I do love a body swap comedy and while 13 Going On 30 isn't quite that (a thirteen year old teenager wishes she was 30 and wakes up in her own adult body ), it's got a lot of similar components. Jennifer Garner is fabulous as always in it and also they dance to "Thriller" which is one of my favourite dance scenes in a film and makes me want to learn the dance. I don't know if 13 year old me could have coped with waking up seventeen years later with no memory of the person I was and living in an adult world - I struggled just with gradually acclimatising to it. On top of that, Garner's character Jenna has to cope with the fact that she doesn't exactly like the person she has become in the time she has missed out on. It really is a great little film - cheesy, of course, but luckily I love cheese.... and what is a chick-flick really if it doesn't have a cholesterol-raising volume of cheese in it!


4) Girls Just Want To Have Fun

And speaking of cheese, you need,to watch Girls Just Want to Have Fun if you haven't already. It's an eighties dance movie starring Sarah Jessica Parker before she got good hair and style as a Catholic schoolgirl with a strict dad who won't let her enter a televised dance contest. Luckily, her new friend in school, played by a young Helen Hunt, is a bit of a rebel and encourages her to do it behind his back. Full of cheesy eighties type songs, ridiculous hair and outfits, a good looking guy from the wrong side of the tracks (because no eighties dance film would be complete without one of those) and a deb ball that goes very wrong in a brilliant way, this is a must-watch as far as I'm concerned.

5) How To Lose a Guy in 10 Days

Now, yes, it seems contrived from the outset. Girl meets boy, girl is trying to write an article about scaring a man off in ten days based on typical "girl" behaviour and the boy in question just so happens to be trying to get a girl to fall in love with him in that exact same amount of time. What are the chances of them meeting each other?!? Well, there is a good reason that throws them together, and Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey are just brilliant in this - particularly Kate.

6) Pretty Woman

I remember when this first came out, I was in primary school - someone asked me if I knew what a prostitute was and I had to admit I didn't, much to my ten/eleven year old shame (Now I'm probably quite happy I had that level of innocent back then...). Anyway, Pretty Woman is about a prostitute and a guy who pays her . . . it is actually far less sordid than it sounds and I'm sure everyone must have watched this film at least once so I'm not going to say any more about it. Apart from the fact that Julia Roberts is absolutely incredible in it, and Richard Gere used to be so bloody handsome it's not even funny.

7) Legally Blonde

Elle Woods is basically the Cher Horowitz of the noughties - when her boyfriend breaks up with her she decides she'll go to the same law school as him to win him back . . . she manages to get accepted, much to his surprise but she is immediately out of her depth. However, Elle is not going to go down without a fight. An absolutely stellar performance from Reese Witherspoon as Elle. (On a side note, I didn't really like the sequel. But the original is definitely a top ten chick flick choice.)


8) Bridget Jones's Diary

I have to admit, back when it was first announced Bridget Jones's Diary was to become a film, I was dubious. I'm generally not a big fan of books being turned into films ("Lord of the Rings" and "Harry Potter" aside) and I had absolutely loved the book . . . AND when it turned out that Renee Z was going to be Bridget I was even more disapproving. But I literally can't imagine anyone else in the role now . . . she is amazing in the role, and the whole film is just fantastic from start to finish.


9) Death Becomes Her

I just re-watched this the other night actually, and it is still as brilliant (and a bit bonkers) as ever. Madeleine (Meryl Streep) steals her friend Helen's (Goldie Hawn) man (played by an almost unrecognisable Bruce Willis), and years later they are in a thoroughly unhappy marriage, while she is becoming more and more insecure about her ageing looks. When they meet a now successful and amazing looking Helen once again, all of Madeleine's insecurities come rushing to the surface and she ends up taking a potion to make her young forever. However, it has side effects that she could never have anticipated. This is a cheesy, overacted, and hilarious film . . . and the actors must have all had so much fun making it.

10) The Other Woman

The newest one on my list, this is actually the last film I saw at the cinema. Cameron Diaz has just met the man of her dreams . . . unfortunately she hasn't realised he is already married to Leslie Mann. They strike up an unlikely friendship only discover that there is yet another woman in the relationship! This is full of hilarious moments, an absolutely incredible comic performance from Mann, and one of the best comeuppances EVER. It's already been on the tv a couple of times, so if you see it pop up in the listings, you should definitely give it a wee shot.



What are YOUR favourite chick-clicks? I'd love to know!

1 comment:

  1. I re-watched Clueless recently - still so bloody funny! I laughed out loud and I was alone - always the sure sign of a great comedy. I also love Bridesmaids and Begin Again.

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)