Saturday, 3 June 2017

WHY I DON'T HAVE A NICHE . . .

Once upon a time, back in the dark ages when I first started this blog, I was most definitely a personal blogger. I used it more as a diary than anything else. And then somewhere along the line, I changed into more of a lifestyle blogger. I don't think I'm a particularly good lifestyle blogger though, I don't really know what I'm doing most of the time because of the way I just morphed from the personal blogging into this current incarnation of my blog.


Sometimes I wonder if I need to find more of a niche, but I think I've ruled out most niches I could potentially do. Let's have a somewhat tongue-in-cheek look at why I couldn't be a niche blogger . . .


Fashion blogger? No.
I pretty much always wear the same clothes, I'm really bad at posing for photos and I don't really take any fashion risks. Although maybe that would be a good niche within an niche? Fashion blogger who has no idea about fashion? I suppose it could work!


Beauty blogger? No.
I've mentioned before I struggle to blend my eyeshadow, my eyebrows are never symmetrical, I only own about five make-up brushes and, until about three months ago, I didn't realise most people don't blend their foundation in with their fingers. I feel I've learned some stuff from beauty blogs, but I'm not sure I myself have any proper wisdom I could impart upon others . . .


Fitness blogger? Definitely no.
My body is seemingly incapable of doing a burpee. The gym scares me, I can't run for shit, and roughly 70% of the time I attempt a lunge I end up with a sore knee. I also basically stop exercising as soon as I get a tiny bit out of breath. I would be the worst fitness blogger ever.


Travel blogger? No.
I love travelling and I do enjoy sharing details of my travels on my blog. But I don't think I could do this all the time. There's a reason I only do my Scotland the Beautiful posts once in a while and it's mainly because I'm lazy and I feel like it takes me longer to write these posts up and add the pictures too. And although my phone camera is really good, and I generally think my pictures look good, compared to actual travel bloggers they're definitely not up to par.


Book blogger? No.
I love reading and also reading about books - I'm a big fan of a book blog. But I don't feel like I generally read enough these days to maintain a book blog. My recent reading challenge has resulted in me reading more than I have in the past couple of years and blogging more about reading too. But I would struggle to keep up with the reading and the blogging about the reading.


Food blogger? No.
Ah . . . food. Like cooking it, love eating it. Writing about it makes me hungry though. And since I'm constantly trying to lose weight, it is not a good idea for me to spend a lot of time writing about it! I think if I was going to find a niche though I would ultimately like to be a food blogger. Maybe one day . . .


Am I missing any niches here? Do you feel like you have a niche or are you happy just to have a bit of a mix in your blog?

2 comments:

  1. This is how I am all the time! 😂 Don't feel like I fit into a nice little box... maybe we could create our own little niche!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started my blog as a diary this year and it's blogs like yours, Belgian Waffling and Tired Dad that are the ones that inspired me to do so. I find snippets of people's lives so interesting and much more absorbing than the many blogs out there where products are endorsed and meals/trips are given to them because I simply don't believe them. To me, it seems obvious that they are given certain key phrases to weave into their posts in a bid to convince others to visit said restaurant/beauty spot/attraction. Long live the niche-less blogs, I say. Honesty is where it's at.

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)