Sunday, 19 March 2017

ON WHY I'M NOT A CINEMA FAN . . .

I don't talk about the cinema very often.

This is because I'm not a fan of it. Films, yes. The cinema experience, no.

I probably last spoke about the cinema five years ago on this blog, and it was because me and my sister went to see The Vow . . . and not only was it a load of crap, it cut out ten minutes before the end and we had to walk down something like eighteen flights of stairs on account of there being a power cut. So yeah . . . that wasn't the best of experiences. And I still have no idea how the friggin' thing ends. Although I don't care too much about that.

I've been to the cinema twice with my boyfriend of nearly three and a half years . . . and the last time was 2014 I think! ("The Other Woman", I believe. Which was a great film.)


I don't really have that much of a desire to go again. Here's why I'm not a fan . . .

Timing
I'm one of those weirdos who wants to be in my seat and relaxed (as much as I can be under the circumstances) prior to even the adverts starting. I don't get these people who are still wandering in during the trailers. I like to have my pick of the seats (don't even get me started on allocated seating!) - and I want to have my snacks/drinks all sorted already. I basically need to be on of the first people in that screen in order to feel calm! And people walking in late does make me feel stressed and angry.... and there is always at least one!

Expense
I don't think I need to elaborate too much on this one.... why is it so bloody expensive to have a cinema trip? I feel like every time I go, the price has shot up even more! Which leads me nice onto the...

Food
Once again ridiculously expensive. I do occasionally take something in with me from off the street, but to me it realty doesn't feel like a proper cinematic experience if I don't have those red stick things with the white insides that you get in the pic 'n' mix bit . . . what are they actually even called? Do you have any idea what I'm talking about? I hope so.... Oh, and on account of me getting into the screen so early, I've usually ate all my food before the trailers even start anyway!

Toilet
I doubt I would ever go to the loo during a film at the cinema because I would be way too paranoid that I would forget where I'm sitting on the way back and end up sitting next to a random stranger or wandering around in panicked circles . . . but here's the thing. They don't pause the film when you go to the loo at the cinema. You're not in charge of the remote control. How bloody dare they???

Disruptive folk
You do wonder why some people even bother going to the cinema (I really don't get it as a date venue, that's for sure) because they then spend the whole time chatting through it, or on their phones, or throwing things at people. What a waste of that aforementioned expense. You can do all that other stuff for free (I wouldn't condone throwing things though. Unless someone really deserves it obviously...).

Being out of touch
I'm one of those folk who checks their phone a lot. I'm also someone who is a rule-abiding citizen and generally will put my phone completely off in the cinema, not just on mute. And I would never dream of looking at it after the film started. You'd think this would put me in a relaxed state and I could switch off and just enjoy the film. Nope . . . of course all I want to do is live-tweet the bloody film!!!

So even if a film comes out that I really want to see . . . I'll probably just wait a couple of months until it comes out on DVD. It's the safer option really!

Do you like the cinema?

14 comments:

  1. Yeeeesssssss finally, someone who feels the same way! My best friend loves the cinema. She has one of those passes, and goes so regularly that they know her by name, and it's one of the few things we don't see eye to eye on. I'll never see any pleasure in parting with a tenner to sit in a dark room with a neon screen and booming speakers...

    www.whatlyddid.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I would ever justify having a pass ... there's so rarely films on I want to see THAT much. So glad that I'm not the only one who feels that way!

      Delete
  2. Yeah I do but I hardly ever go. I just don't get round to it or have no one to go with :( I like seeing films on the big screen and the anticipation but I do wish I could get a bit more comfier, some of the seating isn't the best!
    Amy at Amy & More

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely agree the seating isn't the comfiest!

      Delete
  3. I used to go all the time, but I don't care for it these days as much as I used to. I always seem to end up sitting near Mr. or Miss Chatty who has to comment on the entire movie. The last time I went was with my mom. There were two other people in there and the guy talked all through it.

    I also hate how the food is so expensive! A bag of candy costs twice as much there as what you can get at the store. No wonder everyone brings their own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't understand why people spend all this money to go and then don't even watch - so irritating!

      Delete
  4. Totally agree. Cinema trips are overrated past the age of about 13, I would say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even remember being that excited about them when I was young... but then maybe that's why I'm not a fan now either! So so good to know I'm not alone!

      Delete
  5. I'd much rather sit at home with a DVD and bottle of wine! The cinema is so expensive! I only go now if my boyfriend really wants to see something. Like star wars. Lol.

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to talk mine out of it, they usually are available to buy on virgin really soon after they are in the cinema these days, haha!

      Delete
  6. I'm 50/50 on the cinema, I want to enjoy it and if I'm really in to the film (beauty and the beast) then I can enjoy it but 9 times out of 10 I end up fidgety, restless, poor and hugely intolerant of the people around me! I go on a Monday evening to a local small cinema if there is something I want to see- it's less busy, cheaper and close to home if I want to leg it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to find somewhere quieter and cheaper... I've not lucked out on that yet though!

      Delete
  7. I enjoy going to the cinema, but do get annoyed at other cinema-goers... The ones who are noisy, who kick the back of my chair and play on their phones etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what a waste of money for them to not even watch the film properly, eh!

      Delete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)