Thursday, 12 January 2017

SNOW CHANCE . . .

It snowed today.

I'm sure a lot of you are aware of this, as I don't believe the snowfall was restricted to the central belt of Scotland.

What you might not be aware of, however, is the fact that I am quite definitely not a fan of snow.


It looks pretty, yes, and don't get me wrong, I am more than happy to drive through a snow covered scene and snap away with my phone's camera, or look out at it from the comfort of my own home. And when I was a child, I loved snow. Let's face it. I think most of us as kids (and possibly still now) equate snow with Christmas, and most of us love Christmas so it has good memories for me as a child.

But as an adult, the impracticalities of snow are unavoidable.

Snow days were excellent as a child when you discovered that school was cancelled. (One memorable time, myself and my sister watched the film "Girls Just Want To Have Fun" four times in one day. That was an excellent day.)

As an adult, it's not that easy. You can't hide away from the world, and avoid going outside . . . except to make a snowman and have a fun snowball fight, obviously. You still have to at least try to get to the office, try not to fall flat on your arse on a patch of black ice you didn't see coming, try to get supplies to keep you alive in case everyone panic-buys the entire supermarket.

The snow only looks pretty for a day or two, then it ices over or turns to slush, and leaves you longing for a heavy rainfall just to wash it all away.

And kids gravitate towards it like magnets so they can form angry snowballs to throw hard at strangers for no apparent reason other than it's there, and they maybe have rage issues. And you're not really meant to return the favour. I don't think it's not allowed, per se, but I believe it's frowned upon.

And it's cold!!!

I can understand why people like snow, why people are excited about it, I really can. But I just can't get on board with it.

Snow sucks.

That being said, myself and the fella are heading up north for a long weekend next week . . . and if we got snowed in to the cottage we're staying in when we're up there, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

But that's mainly because it gives me an excuse to not leave the house for days and drink wine in my PJs, so it's not really about the snow . . .


Are you a snow fan?

1 comment:

  1. I am NOT a fan of snow. So this has been a nightmare winter for me because we've gotten a lot more than usual. I haven't seen the grass in months because it's covered in snow. It's not going anywhere anytime soon and we're actually expecting more. I hate it!

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)