Friday, 16 December 2016

P'S TOP PICKS: CHRISTMAS MOVIES

I'm quite enjoying my "P's Top Picks" posts right now . . . mainly because I feel like I have truly excellent taste and you all should be made extremely aware of this. (Just kiddin'. Mostly.)  Anyhoo, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted to go with another restaurant themed or hotel themed one, or a Christmas movie themed one . . . but when it comes down to it we only have another week or so to watch all of the Christmas movies so it was a no-brainer really!



I love a Christmas movie. Even a horrendously cheesy made-for-TV one. (I have watched a few of those in the last couple of weeks and I am not ashamed.) I'd even go as far as to say that Christmas-themed movies are probably one of my favourite things about Christmas.

So what ones will I/have I been watching so far this year? As Craig David would say, let me fill you in . . .

Home Alone 1 & 2
Come on, the Home Alone films have to be watched this time of year. Only the first two, mind. The other ones in the franchise are a pile of crap.

Die Hard
I know there's a saying about Die Hard that goes something like "there's two kinds of people in this world; those who think Die Hard is a Christmas movie; and those who are wrong." Yes, it's a film that just happens to be set at Christmas and, no, you can't really call a film about a bunch of people being held hostage in a skyscraper a jolly Christmas jape. BUT . . . it's on my must-view list this year. (And I say that as someone who only watched it for the first time on boxing day last year and has watched it about ten times since. Call me a convert.)

Love Actually
I won't go into how much I love this film any further - I covered it off in my post last week. But nothing really makes me feel more festive than that first watch of Love Actually in the run-up to Christmas. Fact.

Scrooged
I actually love pretty much any version of A Christmas Carol at Christmas. But Scrooged has to be my favourite. A modern twist on the old Dickens classic and it has Bill Murray in it. Need I say more? Except for "where did I put the bloody dvd, I need to watch it stat.". . .

The Family Stone
I'm a big fan of this film, which stars Sarah Jessica Parker playing an uptight character who couldn't be further removed from the iconic Carrie Bradshaw - when she goes to spend Christmas with her boyfriend's family, she couldn't be more out of her depth and the awkwardness is tangible - but I find the rather dysfunctional family Stone so real and it's nice to watch her learning and growing against a Christmassy backdrop.

Bad Santa
I remember going to a cinema to see this with an ex and being absolutely mortified at how loud he was laughing at this. But it is funny. Very funny. But still ultimately with a nice message. Somewhere. Underneath all of the crude. And Billy Bob Thornton is the perfect Bad Santa. I'm not even sure he was playing a part.

Miracle on 34th Street
I have to admit I've never watched the original. But the 90s version, with Elizabeth Perkins and the late great Richard Attenborough, is just lovely. I'm a believer.

The Snowman and the Snow Dog
I know this is a short film so I'm cheating a bit with this one. But ever since the first year I watched it, I feel no Christmas is proper without it. It properly makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside and run the total gamut of emotions from sad to happy and back again.


What's on your "must watch Christmas film list" this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)