Monday, 26 December 2016

DISCOVERIES I MADE IN 2016 . . .

Did we all have a good Christmas? I certainly did, and I hope you all did too!

Now, last week I sat down and wrote and scheduled four posts in one evening, and was very proud of myself - this was going to be the start of the new organised me, I had decided. I would use the next couple of days to write a few more posts, and then that way I would always be ahead of myself and never be struggling to get posts published.

Hmmm. That didn't really happen. The last post, my best-of post, went live on Christmas eve and it's now boxing day and I am now thinking "shit. I'm back to square one." Ah well, it was a good idea while it lasted. Hopefully I can learn and grow and all that crap.



Anyhoo, today I'm going to talk about some of the discoveries I made in 2016. Now, I'm no Isaac Newton or Marie Curie, and none of these discoveries are anything new - they are just new to me! So let's get going, shall we?


BUFFER
I discovered Buffer at the start of this year and I have never looked back. I use it to make sure I have links to my posts scheduled to pop up on my twitter - whenever I can be bothered anyway! I love how handy it is, I love that you can attach a photo (or several) to the post, and I love that you can see the level of engagement with the tweet too. It's definitely helped me up my blogging game a bit - although I wouldn't be surprised if I've lost a couple of twitter followers because of it.


ANKLE BOOTS
How did I only discover ankle boots this year? I'm not really sure, to be honest. I've pretty much just lived in ballet pumps or the occasional longer-length boot for the past few years. But this year I bought a lovely pair of ankle boots off asos and I never looked back. I've bought a few pairs since (my sparkly heeled blue pair from Primark are definitely my favourite) and am now always looking out for new pairs. I find the heeled versions of boots easier to walk in than heeled shoes too - they don't hurt my ankles as much. And they make my legs look good. Really there's no downsides!


HIGHLIGHTER
I bought a Sleek highlighter palette last month and I'm in absolute love with it. Okay, I haven't quite got the hang of it yet and sometimes leave the house looking like I'm a five year old who's broken into the glitter but I do love the effect it gives when done properly. I probably just need to watch some more youtube tutorials first . . .


BURRATA
Why did no one tell me about Burrata? I've only actually tried it once, in Paesano, but I can't stop thinking about it and wondering when I'll get my next fix. If you have never tried it, it's basically a combo of mozzarella and cream. And it is everything.


MENORCA
We visited the Balearic island of Menorca this year - I have to admit our choice of destination was more motivated by our lack of money and we got a fabulous deal with this particular holiday. I had never been before, but I found it an absolutely lovely little island, and would definitely like to return one day.

PHONTO
Another thing I started doing with my blog this year was adding more pictures to it, including a title picture. I love Phonto because it's really easy to just upload a pic into the app and then play about with text over the image. Nice and simple - and I am definitely a fan of anything that helps my blog but is very straightforward!

DRY SHAMPOO
I've never really used or *got* dry shampoo prior to this year - in fact, it's only actually in the last month or so that it's been something I've used often. But with it being harder to get up in the morning when it's dark and cold, I have often regretted my decision to put off washing my hair the night before when I've hit the snooze button a few times too many. So I am now a convert. Although it's probably made me even lazier . . . Oh well.

ARRAN
Near the start of the year, I posted a wishlist of places I wanted to visit in Scotland; and as fate would have it, a few months later we got the opportunity to rent out a cottage over in Arran for a couple of days in May - so I got to tick one of the destinations on my list off. I really did love it there - it has been described as "Scotland in miniature"and I could certainly see why. Also, it's always nice being separated from the rest of the country by water - it makes it feel like you're further away than you actually are! I'd definitely recommend a wee trip over to the island if you have a chance.

SHIRT DRESSES
I am loving these at the moment - in fact I may have just snapped up another two in the boohoo sale earlier today. And I'm always trawling clothes sites searching for more. I've not got a problem...

COYO
Now, if it wasn't for the fact this is pretty expensive (at least by my standards), I'd be eating a lot more of this coconut yogurt. Not only is it dairy free and vegan, it's also absolutely delicious. Who says healthy has to be boring!

So that's my discoveries of 2016 . . .What did you discover this year?

2 comments:

  1. Dry shampoo ruined my scalp! Never again. Buffer is my favourite thing though.

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought the Sleek highlighter this year and it's amazing!!! I also use a tweet scheduler, although I use Tweetdeck! Great list :) x
    Holly ∣ Closingwinter

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)