Tuesday, 29 November 2016

HOTEL ROOM ESSENTIALS . . .

It may have escaped your notice, but I quite like hotels. I've spoken in the past on this here blog about my addiction to going for a wee overnighter or twenty.

But I feel like some hotels and b&bs do forget about some basic little necessities at times. And, having spent a week of this month during The Big Irish Roadtrip moving between various hotels, I do feel like I'm pretty qualified to comment on what I feel all hotels should DEFINITELY have.



Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you have to have a four poster bed or a roll-top bath (although, trust me, it does help and probably my favourite hotel I've stayed in this month - in Cairnryan - had both of these features (and, yes, that is that particular room in the pics above) but here's some things that DEFINITELY are going to make our stay a tad more comfortable . . .

Sockets next to the bed
For me, this really goes without saying. There's little worse than when you're lazing in bed, swigging wine, watching tv and feeling all relaxed... but your phone is charging on the other side of the room, because there is no socket next to the bed! Even worse . . . I've been in hotels in the past where there is only one spare socket! One!!! What if there are two of you? HOW DOES THAT EVEN WORK??? It beggars belief.

"Do Not Disturb" signs
A later check-out time combined with a lack of a "do not disturb" sign does not make me a happy camper. The amount of times a cleaner has just marched into a room (occasionally without even knocking) on my watch makes me surprised they have never walked in on me in a state of undress. The odds can't be in my favour much longer.

Easy to reach your drink while lying in bed
Something next to my bed to perch my glass of wine on is another essential. For that matter, having glasses or cups (or even a mug) is also necessary.  (When we were in Rhodes last year, I ended up having to drink wine out of a mini-POT on my first night as we discovered we had no drinking receptacles - in a self-catering apartment - whatsoever. That was not my finest hour.)

Information Pack
It's a nice little touch, I like to know what features the hotel room has, the hotel itself (if any), the check-out times (sometimes online booking sites don't always get this right so it's nice to have confirmation), the wifi password, etc. In a hotel we stayed in recently, one without a "do not disturb" sign funnily enough, on our second morning in the hotel, we were disturbed by the cleaner twice, the second time was because they wanted to give us an information pack. We'd been there for nearly 48 hours and were leaving the next day - it was a bit late to give us an information pack at that point!
 So if we can have the information pack from the outset, that would also be ace, thanks! ;-)

Wifi
I'm an addict okay? I need my internet. I don't think I need to elaborate further on this one.

Adjustable heating/air con
It's good to have control over this stuff. And, let's face it, we all feel hot and cold differently, so it's nice to actually be able to adjust the temperature in your own room.

Reasonable check-in/check-out times
I like to get my money's worth if I can. So for me a reasonable check-in time is around 2pm, and a reasonable check-out time 11 or 12. I've stayed in a few places that have check-in times of 4pm and check-out times of 10am. These tend to be smaller places with few rooms so you do end up feeling like they could maybe let you stay in the room for a little bit longer. Especially since the rooms are usually the nicest ones!

What are your hotel room essentials?

2 comments:

  1. Wifi and socket next to the bed is a big yes yes. and a coffee machine with enough milk! There's never enough milk!

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have look more hotel for whom they are essential for those who have supply their products.
    guest valet

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)