Thursday, 8 September 2016

CALL ME MAYBE (NOT) . . .


Do you answer phone numbers you don’t recognise?

I don’t.

There is little that instills the fear of god into me more than when my phone lights up with a phone number and a query of whether to answer it or reject it. (To be fair, sometimes I feel similarly when I do recognise the number, but when I don’t know it, it is so much worse.) You can guarantee that baby is getting either completely ignored or rejected.

But it’s constant. And oh so annoying. Several times a day, at least, I get these strange numbers ringing my phone.

Sometimes it’s the same number numerous times. Sometimes different numbers. Sometimes it’s a mobile number. Sometimes it’s a London number. Occasionally it’s even been an Egyptian number.

They all get ignored.

I used to reject them immediately if I saw the call coming through. But it seems the nasty numbers don’t like that, and you’ve barely swiped in the “reject” direction when a call comes through from the same number again. So now I tend to just blank them. I never have my ringer on anyway which makes matters a lot easier.

I google them afterwards, of course. Just to be sure I haven’t missed anything important. Luckily there’s so many forums where people document their experiences with these numbers and so the internet regularly reassures me that it’s okay, I don’t need to worry that I’ve missed National Lottery’s HQ telling me I’ve won a million pounds despite the fact I haven’t bought a ticket for six months. (This is the sort of thing that crosses my mind.)

Instead I’ve had a lucky escape from being told I might be entitled to PPI (I’m not). Or I’m due an upgrade on my phone (I’m not). Or I’m entitled to compensation for an imaginary accident I’ve had.

I can breathe a sigh of relief, knowing that my decision to ignore the number was completely correct.

But here’s an even more painful pain point, the sting in the tail… when the number you don’t recognise phoning you is “unknown number” or “private number”.

I’m going to ignore it still, granted. But not being able to google it afterwards? Hateful.

I really really hope when the National Lottery HQ phone me, they at least do it from a number I can google…

1 comment:

  1. Haha, I do the same and Google after! It's worse when they leave a voicemail asking you to return the goal. NO NO NO NO.

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)