Tuesday, 16 August 2016

P'S "HEALTHIER" CARBONARA . . .

I have always been a massive fan of pasta.

I sometimes try to limit my carbs, but my love of pasta means that will never last for long. It is just the best. So tasty, and such a comfort food staple in my book.

My go-to current pasta recipe is my own version of carbonara. I've always been a massive fan of carbonara. My version though . . . well, it's a healthier one than the norm, or I like to think it is anyway. Mainly because it doesn't have cream in it. But it does have plenty of other delicious ingredients, it's easy to make, and it tastes ace. If I say so myself. ;-)

So let's get you up to speed on how to produce a plate of this yumminess all by yourself, yeah?

INGREDIENTS (this will serve two)
  • 160g spaghetti (you can use other pasta if you want, but spaghetti is my personal fave)
  • Veg of your liking (I used a red onion, a handful of chopped up mushrooms and around half of a red pepper, but you can pretty much use whatever you want and in whatever quantities. It's a pretty adaptable recipe! I also throw in a garlic clove if I happen to have garlic around.)
  • Diced chorizo (I used about 60g for the recipe)
  • Fage Total 0% Greek Yogurt (small tub - 190g)
  • 50g of grated cheddar
  • 1 medium egg
  • Spices - a sprinkling of hot chilli pepper and paprika (optional)
  • Parmesan (to serve - optional but extremely delicious)

METHOD
  • Cook your spaghetti the normal way.
  • In the meantime, chop up your veg and add it to a pan with either some olive oil or Frylight. Fry away.
  • After about five minutes, throw the chorizo in and continue to fry. By this time, your spaghetti should be nearly ready to go.
  • Add the entire pot of Greek yogurt into the frying pan, ensuring the hob is now done to a low heat. If you're planning to add spices, do so at this point.
  • Drain the pasta and then add it to the pan of vegetables and yogurt, keeping on a very low heat, and keeping everything moving so nothing sticks to the pan (add a tablespoon or two of water if necessary). Mix everything together well, then crack an egg into the pan, mixing it in thoroughly.
  • Once the egg is mixed in, add the grated cheddar and keep stirring for a minute or so longer.
  • Serve up onto the plates, sprinkle some parmesan on top, and enjoy.
This is definitely a lovely treat for one of those days where you have had a rubbish day and want a nice big dose of carbs, meatiness and cheese. It also isn't mega-high in calories - when I was adding this into my diary on myfitnesspal last time I was making it, it came to around 650 calories. Which granted, isn't ideal if you're being incredibly strict but if it's that or you go out for dinner and end up having the heavy cream based carbonara as well as a starter and half a bottle of wine . . . it's a decent alternative. ;-)

You could also leave out the meat if you're not a meat-eater. Oh and if you're weird with eggs, rest assured you won't even notice the inclusion of that one egg. Pinky swear.

Let me know if you give this a go. And enjoy!!! :-)

PS. You can check out all of my other recipes here.





2 comments:

  1. This sounds really good! I might just have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 650 is pretty good for a treat- plenty of meals out smash 1000 calories. Sounds yum!

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)