Sunday, 24 April 2016

VERY SUPERSTITIOUS . . .

I've never been a particularly superstitious person.


I don't like seeing a magpie by itself, but it's more because I want it to have a friend than because I am thinking of the old adage (or Steps lyric)  "one for sorrow . . ."

I don't think anyone should walk under a ladder, but that's more of a health and safety issue than anything else.

Anyway . . .

So me and the fella have been looking for holidays next month. We have the latter half of May off so we can try and squeeze a nice wee week in the sun in at some point. But when the fella was looking up holidays the other night, he came across something strange . . . the Friday before the week we wanted to go away was much cheaper. Like . . . ridiculously cheap.

And trust me, when you live in Glasgow, the holidays are never cheap. You see Thomas Cook and First Choice and the likes advertising their wares, claiming to have holidays from 150 quid per person etc  , , but it's never from Glasgow. Or anywhere in Scotland. It's pretty much reserved to London airport departures and you just lose the will to live looking for a holiday leaving from Glasgow that actually costs less than twice that amount!

So we couldn't understand this at all - until we started talking about asking for an additional day off and realised what the date was of these cheap holidays.

It was Friday the 13th.

So apparently this is a known trend. I'd not been aware of it before, but holidays are cheaper when Friday 13th is involved!

As I already mentioned - I'm not superstitious. I don't like planes though. On any day. So if I could fly on Friday 13th for cheaper, I think I would grab that opportunity with both hands.

Unfortunately that option is taken out of my hands for now, since my passport ran out earlier this year and I applied for a new one just last week. Fingers crossed it arrives soon!

But I'm curious about the rest of you . . . would you knowingly choose a holiday that left on Friday 13th, just because it was cheaper? Or would you be one of the people who would avoid travelling on that date like the plague? I'd love to know, so please feel free to share your opinion in the comments!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I didn't know holidays were cheaper on Friday the 13th, I'd never given it much thought! I was born on a Friday the 13th, so unlucky for my parents, maybe... I've always considered it my lucky number.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't travel on Friday 13th! I'm a nervous flyer already haha.

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. 13 is one of my lucky numbers too but I think I would still be a bit superstitious of actually flying on that day. I have a fear of heights so flying is not really a great thing for me anyway. I definitely wouldn't choose to fly on that day unless I absolutely had to!

    Sarah x

    http://thelongitudeoflife.com/

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)