Sunday, 20 March 2016

OFFICE ANXIETY . . .

I'm pretty sure that, for most of us, work is first and foremost a way to make money. And sometimes we have to put up with annoyances on a daily basis. But I find it can also be a bit of an anxiety minefield at times. Here are some of the things that make me feel a bit anxious and worried in work sometimes . . .


Printer Jams - In terms of jam, only the traffic and printer variety upset me. I hate when I go to print something out and the paper has somehow inexplicably got itself stuck somewhere in the bowels of the printer, leaving me left with nothing but a not-so-helpful little diagram to try and work out where the bloody bit of paper is located!!! Cue lots of opening of drawers and doors, and trying to work out which bits of the printer I can touch and which ones might actually lead me to being electrocuted. And usually all of this with an audience. It's just too much stress for me. My heart sinks any time I see the red light flashing on the printer. And it soars if I realise that the red light's reason is because the paper needs refilled rather than a jam. I can refill a printer fine. Well, as long as there's paper...

Conference calls -  I just never know when to speak - unless I'm addressed directly with a question. Without visual clues there's too much risk of trying to speak and someone else talking at the same time, and then it's all awkward . . . and the awkward silences are nearly as bad.

Spreadsheets - From forgetting the password to access a protected one, or always finding the spreadsheet you need to update locked for editing by someone else, or simply trying to fix a formula that's went awry, I find them pretty stressful. And this is coming from someone who has completed Excel1 and 2 training!

External phone calls - I don't answer my personal phone if I don't recognise the number, so when my work phone starts ringing and I don't recognise the number, I feel a bit anxious answering it. I just have no idea who might be on the other end!!! It's terrifying!

Meetings with a colleague I have never met - I don't know what they look like so how am I going to know I'm not joining a meeting with the wrong person? It's nearly happened a few times . . .

Collections - Last but not least . . . is it just me who gets stressed out the second someone passes me an envelope for a birthday collection or something of that ilk? It's not that I'm upset about signing the card or putting money in . . . it's just I get anxious about who I am meant to pass it to next if everyone around me has already signed it. I end up scrutinising the card trying to distinguish between signatures to see whether or not I can work out who hasn't yet had it. It's not easy. Once I get rid of that card it is a total weight off my shoulders!

I really need to chill out!

Have I missed anything?

4 comments:

  1. Conference calls are doom! Esp when you have to say who you are before and you can hear your recording as you enter!

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just reading this has got me stressed out and feeling anxious haha! The dreaded printer jam is possibly the worst though... Especially when five minutes has gone by and you still haven't managed to fix it aha!

    The Velvet Black | UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Technology failing me! That's my biggie!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never know what to write in the cards! Some people write jokes and my 'good luck in your new job' just sounds so boring. External phone calls are scary, why are you ringing me? What what do you want!?

    Ami x
    www.cranberryandapricot.com

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)