Thursday, 25 February 2016

TV PROGRAMMES YOU SHOULD CATCH UP WITH ON NETFLIX . . .

I think as a nation we are all about Netflix these days. I constantly hear people talking about Orange Is The New Black and Making a Murderer, and I've been trying and failing to catch up with Pretty Little Liars on there too. (I'm still only on season 2 ). 

Anyhoo, I wanted to tell you about some of my favourite little gems on Netflix . . . you may have missed them first time around when they were on regular TV or you might just not have considered them. Or maybe you've just forgotten they existed and need a reminder.


Buffy The Vampire Slayer

DA-DADA-DUM!!! If you've never watched Buffy you're missing out. Sarah Michelle Gellar is awesome as high school student Buffy Summers, who is the latest in a long line of "slayers". A great cast of characters, great fight scenes, snappy dialogue and the necessary dose of high school angst gives great TV show.


The Office

I never managed to get into the US version but I absolutely LOVE the original tv show. If you've ever worked in an office you can identify with it - we've all met a David Brent (surely Ricky Gervais' best character ever), been part of or witnessed a Dawn-and-Tim romance, or wanted to smack a Gareth.


Charmed

This has to be one of my favourite shows ever (I watch it on E4 every morning when I'm getting ready for work, even though I've seen every episode already numerous times). This is the story of three girls who discover they are witches and, as a result, have to juggle their every day lives with fighting demons.


Arrested Development

Quirky wee show, featuring the eccentric Bluth family (and Jason Bateman before he hit the big time) - many laugh out loud moments and at times utter surrealness. (Is that a word? Does it matter? Just watch it.)


Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

Okay this is relatively new. And I wouldn't have found it had it not been for Netflix in the first place. But it's brilliant and if you haven't already watched it, you must!


How I Met Your Mother

Once "Friends" ended I needed a replacement - and HIMYM eventually came along and did the best they could to fill that hole. It dealt with a lot of similar themes, but usually put a refreshing little twist on things. Great cast of characters, great dialogue and storylines... and nine whole seasons to catch up on? Yes please!


Fawlty Towers

It's hard to believe that only a dozen episodes of this classic sitcom were ever made. But that's indeed the case. It may be dated but this sitcom set in a Torquay hotel starring John Cleese amuses me far more than the majority of British sitcoms these days will ever do.


Dead Like Me

And last but not least, you may not even have heard of this one . . . but "Dead Like Me" is brilliant. A directionless 18 year old is killed by a toilet seat falling from space and becomes a reaper who removes the souls of people just before they die. It sounds really depressing, I know . . . but it actually isn't. Just watch it . . . you'll see!


Anything I'm missing on Netflix?

3 comments:

  1. House! The one with Hugh Laurie - it's just fantastic. Also, House of Cards!! New season starting in March too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kimmy Schmidt is a Netflix Original so you can't get it anywhere else. I love it too- new series soon!
    I would recommend another Netflix Original, Bloodline. Totally gripping.
    I've also been hooked on the US version of The Killing. Tried to watch it on tv and found it sloooow but binge watching it got me in and series 1 and 2 were gone in a flash!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been ages since I watched Buffy the Vampire Slayer, though I did strt re-watching Angel a bit back.

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)