Monday, 29 February 2016

SOCIAL MEDIA MYTHS . . . AND ME!!!

Social media, whether it be Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or whatever other platform you wish to use, is a great way to project the image you want the world to see of you. Whether you mean to do this or not, whether it's particularly true to reality or not. It happens to me too, sometimes by choice, sometimes by accident, just in the things I post on Facebook or Twitter, or the pictures I post on Instagram.

So allow me to debunk some social media myths about me . . .



SOCIAL MEDIA MYTH #1: I'M REALLY OUTDOORSY AND ACTIVE

I'm really not. We go for a lot of drives around Scotland, yes. But many of my beautiful landscape pictures are taken when I've braced myself and jumped out of the car for twenty seconds. On the other occasions I've probably been out of puff and whining as I climb a slight hill or panic about falling off the side of a cliff. Oh, and I'm never appropriately dressed for a walk. Cut to me, walking along the side of aforementioned cliff wearing faux fur and UGG boots... :-/


SOCIAL MEDIA MYTH #2: I'M ALWAYS GOING ON HOLIDAY

I get this a lot. Yes, we do go away quite regularly, but more often than not it's just a night at a time in wherever we can get a cheap overnight stay or it's some sort of voucher deal I've got the fella as a present or vice versa. A lot of the other times people think we're on holiday we've literally just driven somewhere for a half day and taken some pictures. I kind of resent people assuming I'm always on holiday. I'm not made of money for a start.



SOCIAL MEDIA MYTH #3: I'M YOUNG

You can actually think this all you want - maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, but I do feel I come across as far younger on social media than I actually am. Okay, I'm only 36 . . . but people in real life are always surprised that I'm not younger, so I would imagine that it would happen a lot on social media too. Perhaps just because I occasionally come across as ridiculously immature... ;-)


SOCIAL MEDIA MYTH #4: I'M A SOCIAL BUTTERFLY

You might think from my frequent check-ins that I'm always out but more often than not I prefer to just stay in with my laptop, a good book, and (often) a bottle of wine. I need to recharge my batteries after a few nights out in a row, and regularly just want to hibernate. I also hate being around a lot of people at once, I find it exhausting trying to pretend to be the life and soul of the party when I'm really struggling to appear interesting but finding even small talk a chore.



SOCIAL MEDIA MYTH #5: I EAT REALLY HEALTHY NEARLY ALL OF THE TIME

Most of the food I put on my Instagram is healthy and home-made, but let's say I probably only am eating that way 4 out of about 7 days of every week. I may put up the odd picture of a greasy pizza or (best of all!) a tub of chips and cheese . . . but I probably eat far more of this delicious junk than you would think from my pictures. Simple carbs just aren't as aesthetically pleasing as fruit  and vegetables and rainbow colours . . . however they taste far far better than they photograph. ;-)


What is misleading about your social media?





No comments:

Post a Comment

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)