Thursday, 11 February 2016

ONE-PAN CHICKEN, VEGETABLE AND COCONUT CURRY . . .

Ah . . . once upon a time a recipe blog post from me was once in a blue moon. These days they are far more frequent . . . maybe once every six months? ;-)

Anyway, last night I had my pole fitness class and the fella had 5-a-sides pretty much straight afterwards and THEN we still had to go buy some food, so by the time we got back to my flat it was nine-ish. We didn't want to wait too long to eat so I threw together as quick a curry as I could. It was absolutely delicious though, which is why I felt I had to share it.

It's healthy, simple, doesn't dirty too many dishes (always an important point), and the most calorific ingredient is the sachet of coconut. You can leave that out if you want but I think that creamy coconut just tops this curry off perfectly. You can also throw in whatever veg you wish, or substitute the chicken for turkey, or maybe even quorn if you don't eat meat. Basically just take the basics and do what you want with it.

Normally if I am making a meat curry I'll cook the meat separately, then fry up the veg and spice with the tomatoes etc and blend with a stick blender before adding coconut THEN add the meat back in. . . that was going to be waayyyy too much hassle last night. You can do all of this in one pan and, so the fiddliest thing you have to do is the food-chopping, Ideal!

The ingredients below gave two of us a generous portion when served with half a packet of microwaveable rice each - you could possibly eat the whole amount yourself if you're going carb free though so just vary the quantity of the ingredients bearing this in mind.


EASY ONE-PAN CHICKEN, VEGETABLE AND COCONUT CURRY


Easy, delicious curry ready to eat . . . how can you resist???

Ingredients:
  • Frylight or olive oil (depending on what diet or how saintly you're being)
  • 250 g diced chicken
  • 1 red onion, diced
  • 5/6 mushrooms, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped up finely
  • 1/2 yellow pepper, diced
  • 1/2 red pepper, diced
  • 400 g carton of pasata (use one containing herbs/chilli/pepper/garlic if you wish)
  • 1 vegetable stock cube
  • Equal amounts of hot chilli powder, medium curry powder, turmeric, cumin, coriander and paprika (I used roughly 1-1 1/2 teaspoons of each)
  • Herbs (optional - I used a sprinkling of basil, oregano and parsley)
  • 50g of creamed coconut (Patak's do 50 g sachets)

Method:

Dice the chicken, if you haven't bought ready diced. (I actually had, but I broke it up into smaller pieces with my spatula as I fried it) and fling into the pan with frylight or olive oil. Fry until the chicken is cooked.

Add the vegetables in to the pan with the chicken and get them heated up too. I gave these about five minutes, just making sure I was moving the chicken around a lot so there was no risk of it getting burnt.

Throw in the passata. Watch out for splashes! I then added a tiny bit of water to the empty carton of passata, and tossed that in too, followed by the vegetable stock cube (ain't nobody got time for mixing a stock cube and water together - I reserve that sort of respect solely for risotto) . . . and then it's time for the spices and (optional) herbs. Mix all of these in and leave it to simmer for a bit, another five minutes or so. (By this point I was getting very impatient and hungry and really wanting my dinner.)

Open the sachet of coconut, if possible break it up into pieces before you add it to the pan (makes it a bit easier to melt). Now you're basically just waiting until the coconut has melted in. To be honest, as I served up the meal to the fella, I said to him "there may be a bit of unmelted coconut in this. But is that really a bad thing???"

Once you're sure the coconut has all melted - or you just can't wait any longer to eat - serve it up with a microwaveable packet of rice (we went for Uncle Ben's pilau rice, which went beautifully with it) and stuff it in your gob.


It's ace. Pinky swear.

If you liked this recipe, you might fancy trying out one of my others. How about chilli con carne, thai red salmon curry, kidney bean curry, chilli con Tuna OR, if you're in the mood for something a little bit LESS healthy, how about trying out my pizza recipe?

Please let me know if you do try this recipe or any of the others? I'd love to know how you get on!

1 comment:

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)