Tuesday, 12 January 2016

MY BOOKS OF 2015 . . .



I feel like I read less and less these days - I blame work, a fairly busy social life, and an even busier social media life for distracting me from reading. Which is a shame as I actually love getting stuck into a good book. I read a tweet last week where the tweeter had made  new year's resolution to have a weekly "date night with a book" this year . . . that sounds like a good idea to me!

So last year I didn't really get a lot of books read .  .  . but there were still a couple that stuck out for me, and if you are a fan of chick-lit at all, then hopefully you'll love these too.

Three Amazing Things About You - Jill Mansell

This has probably been my favourite Jill Mansell book to date (and trust me, I love her books!) - in fact, I believe it is also her favourite of all of her books, and it is a lovely read, both funny and heartbreaking in turn.

It features three very different girls who don't know each other. However fate has them destined to keep coming across one another for some reason or other. And ultimately one very important reason.

It was definitely my read of the year. If you haven't read it, please do! Just maybe don't read it in public - I read a big chunk of it while on a business flight back from London and was crying so much that I was very glad my boss had been seated several rows in front of me . . .


The Vintage Guide to Love and Romance - Kirsty Greenwood

I loved Kirsty's debut "Yours Truly" but this book was even better. It's a bit of a modern-day "My Fair Lady" where Jess, a bit of a ladette, moves to London to stay with her estranged grandmother . . . who ends up using her outdated Woman Guides to turn Jess into a lady, as well as attempt to win the heart of a lothario she whole-heartedly dislikes. It's funny, page-turning and unputdownable. I loved it.

Always the Bridesmaid - Lindsey Kelk

I've been a fan of Kelk's novels for years and I really liked most of her "I Heart" series but I love being introduced to a new character or ten, so "Always The Bridesmaid" was a breath of fresh air.  Maddie is our lead character in this novel, having a crappy time with her boss, a friend who is about to go on full-on Bridezilla while her other best friend is in the midst of a divorce  . . . oh, and she has the usual man trouble. Might seem like standard chick-lit fodder but it is a great read and has many humorous moments. It was my favourite read of my birthday holiday in October.


One Hundred Proposals - Holly Martin

Harry and Suzie are best friends who work together in a wedding proposal business and Harry has decided he is going to find the perfect proposal for Suzie . . . by proposing to her in some of the most exotic places in the world. The problem is she is madly in love with him and would love to say yes... This is a lovely little book, romantic and sweet, and with a wide variety of unique proposals all over the world. I have now loads of new places to add to my "must visit" list thanks to this book!

 

Any other chick-lit fans out there? If you have any suggestions for me, or any comments on my reads of last year, I'd love to hear from you.

1 comment:

  1. You know, before I started school I LOVED to read chic lit. I guess reading extremely dry textbooks as homework every week made me not like it nearly as much because I hardly read at all now that I've graduated. I've been reading Sophie Kinsella's Shopaholic to the Rescue lately though (which I got for Christmas) and am enjoying that.

    Thanks for the reviews, these sound like excellent reads so I'll have to look them up.

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)