Tuesday, 20 October 2015

HOW MY SMARTPHONE RUINED SCRABBLE . . .

I love the internet. I love my smartphone. I love social networking. I just love how much easier life can be sometimes due to the technology we have, literally, at our fingertips.

You don't need to wait around for ages waiting for your friend because she's late but has no way of letting you know because neither of you have a mobile phone, like back in the olden days. Or, more likely you do still have to wait around for her because she's ALWAYS BLOODY LATE. . . but at least you have the option of spending the twenty minutes or so she's been delayed on your smartphone Facebook-stalking or moaning about bad timekeepers on Twitter.

But . . .I've spoken before about how much I love modern day technology but that it's a double edged sword at times.

And I discovered a few weeks ago that technology has ruined Scrabble for me!!!

Me and one of my uni friends used to play it all the time back in the day. I loved it back then, but hadn't played in years. Then the "Words with Friends" app came along and I would play it religiously. It never took over my life the way Draw Something did for that brief horrendously dark few weeks back in 2012. (I can never go back to that place. *shudder*). I could dip in and out of it, play a few shots a day, or loads if I wanted. I probably had the app in my phone for about three years, then my phone kept running out of space so I eventually sacrificed it, probably for a video clip of a goat skateboarding or something ridiculous that you shouldn't ever sacrifice your Words with Friends app for.

Anyhoo, I digress. A few weeks ago, the fella suggested we have a game of Scrabble. As in the actual board game. I hadn't even known he owned the game, and I hadn't played it for probably around fifteen years so I was pretty excited. We broke out the vino because you obviously can't play a board game without alcohol (don't even get me started on the time I recently played Monopoly sober and got very stressed out!), and got down to the nitty gritty.


But Scrabble is hard now.

For a start, you have to actually pick tiles out of the bag physically. They don't just line themselves up on your screen randomly at the touch of a button.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

How do you know that perfectly crafted word you have spelled out on the tiles is even real? Do you have a dictionary? You can't really look it up on your phone or you might be accused of cheating! If you're playing Words with Friends it will tell you whether it's a valid word or not and you don't need to risk the humiliation of not having spelled a word correctly in front of other people.

Scrabble does not afford you such a luxury.

And if you are lucky enough to find yourself in the possession of a correct word, you have to count the score for it up all by yourself. All those double and triple letter and word scores do not add themselves up in the real world.

This is when you start to realise that perhaps Scrabble and wine do not in fact go hand-in-hand.

And the worst bit of all?

You don't really have a clue whether you've won or not until you actually get to the end and the scores have been counted!!!

Game over.

So, go on technology . . . what olden day pleasure are you going to ruin for me next???





No comments:

Post a Comment

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)