Friday, 2 October 2015

EVERYWHERE YOU GO, ALWAYS TAKE A WETHERSPOONS WITH YOU!

There's people out there who love a classy wine or cocktail establishment. I do too. But when it comes to having drinks out, I have a confession to make.

I love a good 'spoons.

By which I mean, I love Wetherspoons. The pub chain. (Although I do love a good spooning too.)



That's not even a secret confession because I think pretty much anyone who is my friend on Facebook or follows me on Instagram knows this due to my frequent check-ins and "arty* wine portraits" at whatever 'Spoons is closest.

*When I say "arty" I probably mean "drunken".

Anyhoo, I've always been a loyal frequenter of the 'Spoons franchise in Glasgow, but around a year or so ago me and the fella went for a drive down to England and wound up in Carlisle. We decided to go for a drink, but where to go? When you're in a strange town or city, there's pub politics - you don't know what pubs are good or bad, which ones are must-visits or must-avoids. As a Glasgow dweller, I know that there are many pubs there to be avoided depending on religious and/or football affiliations, for example, but I don't have that luxury in a place I don't know.

But when you check online and there's a Wetherspoons in close proximity, all of your problems are solved. Cheap wine, and fairly decent pub grub if you aren't of the "eating's cheating" mentality. Usually okay loos as long as you don't mind a long journey to them (have you noticed they're almost exclusively up or down a set of stairs from the rest of the pub?) Friendly service and a wide variety of customers. And free Wi-Fi!What more can you ask for?

So the night of the England trip, we had facebook check-ins in both Carlisle and Dumfries. And so The Great Wetherspoons Tour began! 

We made it our mission to find a Wetherspoons, if possible, in every UK town or city we stayed in from that moment on. We even managed to take it a step further and stay in a couple of Wetherspoons hotels! Which, by the way, are pretty awesome - they are actually really well kitted out and aren't expensive. Especially if you stay there on a Sunday night as they seem to exclusively cost £39 on that day. I've been to the ones in Broughty Ferry (just outside Dundee) and the Inverness one and they are both lovely. Highly recommended, plus you know you have a pub nearby since you're staying in one.


Funnily enough, in the past couple of days, two separate people have asked me how many Wetherspoons we've been to now. We realised that we'd actually forgotten to count. So we will need to make a list at some point. But there is a lot. And this will continue to grow!

Believe it or not, this is not a sponsored post. Although if anyone who works for a 'spoons happens to be reading this and fancies offering us some free wine or a hotel stay, I would not be saying no by any means! ;-)

The simple fact is this . . .

We're Wetherspoons-aholics. And we're not ashamed to admit it. Are you?




No comments:

Post a Comment

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)