Friday, 7 August 2015

ARE *YOU* READY TO MINGLE???

I'm a big "How I Met Your Mother" fan. Don't get me wrong, it's no "Friends", but it filled a hole in a way that no other show really did. (To be honest, I'm not really sure what I'm going to do now IT'S done too.) Anyway, there's an episode of HIMYM where Ted, the long suffering hero, goes on a date with a girl, only for them both to realise halfway through the date THAT THEY'VE HAD THIS EXACT SAME DATE YEARS PREVIOUSLY. Resourcefully, they make the most of this opportunity to see the date through and give feedback on the date from years ago and the precise reasons why there never WAS a second date. It's pretty clever, albeit with a weak ending. (A bit like HIMYM overall. BaboomTISH.)

So when I saw that E4, one of the UK freeview channels, are starting a new show called "Young, Free and Single Live" on Monday nights from next week, I was intrigued. And a bit scared.  Basically dating is going to become a "spectator sport" - we are going to get to watch first dates on tv with six single people . . . while they watch them back themselves. And apparently us, the live audience, can give them feedback.

This is one of the most terrifying things I've ever heard.

I have always been bad at dates. I always said inappropriate things. Like "did you enjoy your pee?" when the date came back from the bathroom. Can you imagine the feedback I'd get for that? I can just imagine the tweets of derision when I said that.

If I wasn't saying something ridiculous enough to get me to go viral on youtube, I'd probably otherwise be tongue-tied or off on a diatribe about someone I really dislike in real life. Who would undoubtedly be watching. Basically I would come off as the biggest idiot on the planet.

I imagine my most popular viewer feedback would be "You're weird. Please be normal. Or at least try???".

(In retrospect, it's quite amazing I'm NOT single...)

That being said... I will more than likely still be watching it. And live-tweeting about it. Because... watching awkward things happen is better than actually experiencing them. True story.

Will you be watching? And - even more important question - would you ever consider going on such a show?

2 comments:

  1. Oh nooo, I won't be watching. It sounds like a massive cringeathon!! I say inappropriate stuff on dates too, like, there's someone in the toilet doing a poo and they're making really weird noises. Who says that?!! Who knows what goes on in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of this show before. I'll have to google and see if it's playing in the US.

    I used to think that I wouldn't mind being on a reality show and that it could be fun. Now I think that there's no friggin' WAY I'd want to be on tv. I can only imagine what people would say about me! lol

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)