Saturday, 7 March 2015

WEEKENDS ARE ALL ABOUT THE BRUNCH . . .


Like most people who work Monday to Friday I love weekends. One of the reasons for this is that I get to lie in bed for as long as I want of a morning. Another is that I still have time, no matter when I get up, to make myself a decent breakfast. During the week I exist on Weetabix and almond milk, overnight oats or - when I'm being really naughty and lazy - a chocolate bar out of the work vending machine (I know!) so it's good to actually get a bit of extra time to hang out in the kitchen and make a proper meal for a change.

But what to make? If you are struggling for breakfast/brunch ideas, here's a couple of my favourites!

Shakshouka

This is delicious and actually really bloody healthy if you actually look at the ingredients. It's basically just a tin of chopped tomatoes, onions, peppers, spices and anything else you want to add (mushrooms, chorizo, the world is your oyster!) fried up and then topped with egg. I usually add a wee bit of grated cheddar or feta (or both!) to the end product but you can leave the cheese out to keep it completely saintly if you wish!

(I go by the above spelling of the dish as I originally got it from the Harcombe Diet recipe book, which used this spelling. It has other spellings. Just thought I'd point that out...)





Egg and bacon cupcakes



I got this one from the I Quit Sugar book and, while I think the idea of me ever actually quitting sugar is quite laughable and, frankly, ludicrous, it's a good wee recipe. Just line a muffin tray with bacon, crack an egg in, and stick in the oven. The result is pretty damn tasty. And low carb. But mainly tasty.

Recipe can be found here.













Halloumi, avocado and poached egg stack

One of my friends is mega-healthy and kept posting pictures of delicious breakfast stacks which inspired me to try one myself. The boyfriend suggested using halloumi as a "bread substitute" for the base of the stack, which worked pretty damn well. (I'm a halloumi FIEND by the way.) Just slice up the halloumi and grill, lay it out on a plate and top with sliced avocado followed by a poached egg. Add a sprinkling of black pepper. BOOM!


Amazing!










Scrambled egg and smoked salmon




You can't really get a simpler combo. Just scramble up your egg in the frying pan, stick it on the plate and top with sliced up smoked salmon. Utterly gorgeous.
























Okay, so I realise these all involve eggs, and so you're probably not going to enjoy them if you don't like eggs (I do realise that there are people out there who don't! I even know a couple of them!) ... but as far as I'm concerned eggs are a weekend breakfast staple! Hopefully I've provided you with some brunch inspiration, if you were looking for some...

What's your favourite brunch???

1 comment:

  1. I never used to like the whites on eggs (still can't stomach them if they're fried!) but I NEED to try the halloumi, avocado stack ASAP.

    I love smoked salmon on anything so usually end up going for eggs royale when I'm out for brunch!

    OK now I'm hungry lol x

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)