Friday, 12 December 2014

P'S TOP PICKS: EATING IN GLASGOW . . .

I love food. I don't mind cooking it, but even more so I like it when someone else cooks for me and waits on me hand and foot. So I'm quite lucky that Glasgow has quite a massive choice when it comes to eating out!

I have to admit that I'm a bit of a creature of habit though and once I find a place I like, I do frequent it quite a lot. So I thought I'd share a couple of my favourites with you lucky people!

FANNY TROLLOPES
What a name eh? Love the name or hate it, don't let it put you off visiting this little gem! In the Finnieston area of town, this is a handy-ish place for an after work dinner for me, and is also very handy for the plethora of pubs in the area so you can keep the night going after dinner (Finnieston is a FAB place for a pub crawl - trust me, I've tried it before). Friendly staff, fresh Scottish fayre and reasonable prices - what more can you ask for???

ROASTIT BUBBLY JOCKS
This is my local, sitting a five minute walk from my flat in Partick. Easily accessible by train for those coming in from elsewhere, I love Roastits. I first went by accident - after the night where we received the unjustifiably rude treatment in McPhabb's...  It's not for everyone though - a good friend of mine has not good memories of it. She's vegetarian so if you don't like meat/fish it may not be for you. Once again, lovely fresh locally sourced food, entertaining service from the deadpan waiter and don't even get me started on the crispy bacon and black pudding salad starter . . . oh my god! I recently had a hilarious couples night in there with Dawniepopsies, so I'm sure she will vouch for it too!

CAFE SOURCE
Another traditional Scottish venue but I'm not going to apologise . . .I love local food, okay? Situated underneath St Andrews on the Square in the Saltmarket area of the city, this is a place I haven't been in a while, but only because it's a bit of a walk from the west end! I love the haggis fritters to start and the sausage, rumbledethumps and onion rings are bloody brilliant. Okay... I'm about to start salivating. I MUST make a trip back there very soon! I haven't taken the boyfriend there yet, so I even have a good excuse . . .

DRIFTWOOD
Driftwood is one of my favourite cheap & cheerful haunts in town - although to be fair it's on the very edge of Charing Cross so isn't quite in the centre. That being said, it's handy for the joys of Sauchiehall St, like the O2 ABC (me and the boyf popped in there for dinner before our most recent Clean Bandit gig), or the King's Theatre. We've recently been embracing a deal we got through a popular restaurant booking website, which gives you three courses and a glass of wine from a limited (but delicious) Mexican/American menu for a mere 12 pounds! The mozzarella sticks are always a winner with me, I have tried both the fajitas and burger as a main, both lovely, and the warm caramel shortcake with cream to finish... yum! I've also had the chilli cheese fries on a random couple-of-drinks-after-work night in there and they hit the spot perfectly. Friendly service and the drinks are reasonably priced too. Definitely a winner in my eyes.

BALBIR'S
Back to the west end and Balbir's is probably my favourite Indian restaurant in town. It's definitely not the cheapest, granted, but their tandoori salmon starter makes it all worth it (and makes me want the recipe.).I've never had a bad meal in here. It's also handy for the many pubs in Byres Road if you want to make the night last a bit longer.

LA VITA
The most central restaurant on my list, La Vita is an Italian restaurant located on the edge of George Square. Friendly, efficient service (although the last time we were there I asked for a wine list and the waitress, after looking confused, finally returned with a wi-fi code for me. Which caused US to then be confused...) and a wide range of food available - you're not limited to just pasta and pizza, although both are awesome! The last time I was there I had the pan roasted chicken thighs in a red pepper cream sauce, accompanied by pesto mash. Amazing! Although the pasta and pizzas are just as good, don't get me wrong - I just sometimes prefer to go for something I am unlikely to be able to make myself at home!

So there you go! To be fair, I could probably give you far more but I've narrowed it down to six . . . I hope if you're in the area at any point you might consider them. Let me know if you do! ;-)

What's YOUR favourite restaurant, Glasgow or otherwise?

No comments:

Post a Comment

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)