Wednesday, 2 April 2014

PARIS . . .

So I'm off to Paris this Friday.

Very excited about this. I've been to Paris three times previously but the last time was when I was 15. In the summer of 1995. Which was . . . well, it was a long fucking time ago really eh? Nearly 20 years in fact. Bloody hell!

The three times I went actually were within a four year period. The first was in 1991. My mum took me. It was meant to be to help me with my French, as I was about to start high school and start taking French lessons. My mum, as a former French teacher, took this seriously enough to make sure all of my siblings went to Paris the summer before the start of high school. Then proceeded to do all the relevant French speaking. (After a couple of days doing the free sightseeing stuff in Paris, she took me to Bernay which is a little town in Normandy, and we stayed with the family she stayed with during our student year. Who all spoke to me in . . .English. To be fair though, I hadn't STARTED taking French yet, how was I possibly going to understand them if they spoke in their mother tongue.)

Then in 1992, Euro Disney opened and there was a school trip organised. I was so excited when my parents said I could go. (It was over a holiday and completely optional - and expensive! - so it wasn't compulsory.) Of course, I ended up stuck with the most annoying girl in the world as a room-mate and had to sit next to her on the coach ALL OF THE TIME, but there were other people there I was friendly with so I managed to still have a good time.

In 1995, my parents took me and my 2 siblings there on a David Urquhart coach tour and that was probably the best time I had. The weather was fab, we made it around some of the sights once again, hit Euro Disney once again . . . I have fond memories of it and I've always wanted to go back, but then as I got older I got the sunshine bug and, as much as I loved the idea of Paris, when you put it next to the option of a beach holiday with (probably) guaranteed sunshine it was hard of me to choose Paris.

But fate has intervened and, due to my boyfriend running the marathon there, I will be heading there for five days. As I have never tried Paris as an adult this could be a totally different experience. Okay, I may be totally skint but, hey, that's what an overdraft is for, right, a luxury/curse I did not have as a child, so I will be able to go where I want, and do what I want. My parents always tended to want to only do the things you didn't have to pay for while we were on holidays (not that I blame them, especially with three kids to have to pay for) so to actually just be able to decide what WE want to do and just DO it is to me total bliss.

I can't wait. :-)


Do you have a Paris memory?

2 comments:

awesomelyunprepared.com said...

Sounds fun! I love how you got to actually go to France to learn French!!!
Have a great time!

20somethingboozer said...

Paris rocks! I got engaged in Paris - if you stumble across a bridge festooned with millions and millions of padlocks, one of them has mine and my husband's initials scratched into it and the key is at the bottom of the Seine. Have a fab time and good luck to the boyfriend x