Wednesday, 19 February 2014

THINGS I *COULD* GIVE UP FOR LENT . . .

Today we were talking about Lent and what we could give up for it. I exaggerate. I was loosely taking part in this conversation . . . I've never been good at giving things up for Lent. I've never been good at giving things up full stop. My willpower is at such a low level that someone really should organise some sort of advertising campaign for people to donate some to me.

Do you remember my attempt to give up wine two years ago? I lasted two weeks, my vodka tolerance went way up in the meantime (well, I wasn't giving up ALL alcohol!), and I discovered nights out in the pub were hard when there was no alcoholic beverage other than wine that I could stick to for extended periods of time. I used to give up sex . . . but only if I was single. And as for chocolate or crisps . . . there just isn't a hope in hell.  (Well, I could POSSIBLY manage crisps. I don't eat them often. BUT, if told I couldn't have them, I would most definitely suddenly want to eat them ALL OF THE TIME!)

This year, I will most certainly be not giving up wine. Or chocolate. Or cakes. Even if I THOUGHT it was possible, I will be in Paris before the end of Lent and I can't see myself avoiding any of these things. Someone today said he had given up fizzy drink for Lent one year . . . I don't think I would make it through the first hour of caffeine withdrawal headache. :-(


So I've given it some thought and here are some things I could probably give up for Lent instead:


VEGETABLES - I know we're meant to get our five a day and all that . . . but it's so easy to forget so I think I could just keep forgetting and manage the full 40 days. And then probably keep going for the rest of the year. In fact - let's live really dangerously and throw in fruit too. I'm SUCH a risk-taker!!!

WATER -  going to the loo all the time is such a hassle anyway. Totally overrated. And . . . I've said it before and I'll say it again, ad nauseam . . . Jesus turned water into wine for a reason.

SHOWERING - we all know my feelings on showering. If you don't, you may get the hint after forty days of me avoiding it.

EXERCISE - as long as lifting a wine glass to my lips doesn't count as exercise, I think I could manage this one without too much hassle.

SAVING MONEY - I know it will be REALLY hard to just spend money without thinking about it, and not think about the repercussions, but I will do my best. I will put my all into it. I will buy holidays and clothes and books and tickets for things and I will HATE EVERY MINUTE OF IT. Honestly!!!



On second thoughts . . . maybe I'll just not give anything up at all.

As per usual . . .



What would YOU give up???

5 comments:

Kate @ Another Clean Slate said...

I've heard that it's good to start doing things for Lent too. i've considered doing that instead of the giving up. Otherwise every year i try to give up diet coke and fail.

GirlX said...

I'd probably try to give up coffee. Since it was only for 40 days, it may be a good time to see if I really do beat one of my coworkers without it. I'm not a morning person.

Gorilla Bananas said...

I'm sure you could give up lots of other stuff - how about giving up painting your toenails? Or even giving up foot-sex, which is totally overrated?

I could try giving up farting for 30 minutes at a time.

Scarlett Wonderland said...

YES, I could definitely give up all of those for lent too. You're winning at lent! x

lacochran's evil twin said...

I gave up giving things up. I recommend giving up New Years resolutions, too. Makes life so much less disappointing.