Thursday, 6 February 2014

A RANDOM LITTLE RANT ABOUT SOME WORDS . . .

Here is a random selection of words and a rant about them. Some are common mistakes, some are not so common and some are just horrible HORRIBLE words. Okay, ONE is. But I feel very strongly about that one word.

Anyway, here goes:


"Specific" and  "pacific"
I don't understand why so many people say "pacific" instead of "specific". Is it just the way they say it that makes it SOUND like "pacific" or do they really think that is another use of that word??? I hate to break it to you, but even if you're talking "pacifically" about the largest ocean in the world, it still should be "specifically". The end.


"Narcolepsy" and "Necrophilia".
A friend of mine years ago was talking about always being tired and half-jokingly said she thought she might have a case of narcolepsy.  However, she referred to this condition erroneously as necrophilia. There was a bit of shock until she said "that IS the condition where you can just fall asleep anywhere and everywhere, right?" Those two words are DEFINITELY not ones you should mix up. Ever.


"Instant gratification" and "self gratification"
This error was my own, and I'm still embarrassed about the time I told a colleague he was the "King of Self Gratification", when I actually meant "Instant Gratification." It's a WEE bit personal for the workplace really, isn't it?


"You're/your", "there/their/they're", "its/it's"
We are ALL entitled to a slip-up, and heaven knows I've been guilty of this too (and on the rare occasion I commit this crime, I usually notice afterwards and instantly want to crawl under a rock with shame) but it REALLY isn't that hard to get the correct spelling of these words in the right context consistently. It really does frustrate me when I see the same people make the same errors with these words constantly.


"Amazeballs"
Why in the world is this even a word? Who decided "amazing" wasn't a good enough word? Who do I need to hunt down and kill? The day that word made history for going in the dictionary, I had to explain to a colleague what it meant. The fact I even KNEW what it meant resulted in a very bleak day for me.



What spelling/grammar mistakes, or words annoy you SPECIFICALLY??? I can't be alone here!

6 comments:

sprinkles said...

My school has a facebook confessions page and I'm always SHOCKED at the horrific spelling of my fellow students on there.

Aileen Johnston said...

I HATE amazeballs (although I did use it on my FB status the other day but I like to think I did it ironically!) and my friend uses it so much that I am actually thinking of losing the friendship over it. (only joking, I think...) I also get bugged about you're/your and their/there/they're. Another one for me is lose and loose. I am sure that when I was in school I was taught that if you lost something you used the word lose and the word loose was the opposite of tight. However so many people are using loose in the wrong context I am really questioning myself. My last pet hate is just specifically for one person on my FB feed. If she is bored she always spells it BOARD. This would not be too bad if it was occasionally but she is always bored so the wrong spelling comes up every day on my feed and really irks me!

Ah I'm glad I got that off my chest! (BTW I am rubbish at of/off and to/too so I am sure I bug other people!) :)

GirlX said...

I love this post... and I really think the word Amazeballs is funny! I only first saw it on that Sprint (phone) commercial that they also say he's "Totes McGotes" lmao.

I agree with everyone you've said, though... truly.

PS: The new blog is up :)
http://lifeunlimited-destinationunknown.blogspot.com/

Cloey said...

YES. Even though i've just calmed down after a librarian had corrected me when i'd asked about getting something specific and she said "Don't be silly you mean pacific". I think i'm too angry for this world!

Cloey
The Student Blog x

Skye Fisher said...

Personally my peeve hate is totes adorbs
and dont even get me started about amazeballs- Samee number of sylaballs !!

New blog in case youre wondering

http://musingsfrommyteenagemind.blogspot.co.uk/

lacochran's evil twin said...

I, too, hate "amazeballs." Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone.