Saturday, 28 December 2013

THAT INEVITABLE POST . . .

I saw a comment from a colleague on twitter about how he couldn't wait (obviously being sarcastic) for all the "new year, new me" status updates on Facebook that were going to pop up over the next week. And I'm sure we're going to see many of this type of post on blogs all over in the next week or two also. So let me take this opportunity to add to it...

I say this every year. Every bloody year. But 2014 is going to be it.  THIS is going to be the year I get healthy. I am I am I am!!!

To be honest, 2013 was never going to be the best time for me as there was a lot of change, and stress, and also some nice stuff I wasn't expecting:

*** First I was passed over for a promotion for a job I had already had experience doing, so I felt shit a lot and ate a lot of comfort food and drank a lot.

*** Then I had to move flat after ten years of living in the same place and acquiring a lot of stuff. Which stressed me out a lot and meant I spent a lot of time procrastinating and avoiding the issue by getting drunk instead of packing. Oh, and then I had no idea how to light the oven in my new place and also kept setting the smoke alarm off when I cooked, so that sort of put the skids on all the cooking I was so excited to do now I was living alone.

*** THEN I got the promotion I had been passed over for and work got really busy too, so that meant a lot less time for exercise/the gym/etc.

*** And then very shortly after that I got into a new relationship and it's a common theme that you end up eating a lot of crap cos you're too busy kissing and getting to know each other to actually be bothered cooking or exercising. Oh, and he keeps picking me up to take me to work in the morning so even all the walking I do has gone by the wayside. Oops.

So it's been a pretty busy year really! :-) And I've eaten approximately 5 million takeaways in the past ten weeks, and the last time I went to the gym was the end of October and the only reason I remember that was because my phone went flying off the end of the treadmill I was using because I was too busy smiling at a text my boyfriend had sent me to pay attention to actually a) running or b) actually HOLDING ON TO MY PHONE PROPERLY.

But come January 1st all that is going to change. My boyfriend is meant to be training for a marathon anyway so hopefully we can motivate each other to actually stop eating crap, cut down on the boozing, and actually do some exercise! It's always easier if you're in it together.

My sister has been working out on and off with a personal trainer at the gym for the past few months so hopefully she can also help motivate me. I'm never going to be a gym bunny (although I've obviously had my moments) but even if I can maybe get there with her once or twice a week (in between doing exercise dvds or possibly even running) and do the workouts she does, then this would probably also help.

I'm at the stage where I'm very excited about all this healthy stuff. It's easy to be at this point isn't it? When you're googling clean eating recipes and protein powder while drinking wine and sitting on your arse and stuffing your face with chocolate you were given as presents. It's putting the theory into practice which always proves difficult.

But I'm motivated. I'm going to give it my best shot. And I WILL be blogging about it as I go.

Wish me luck?

5 comments:

  1. Incidentally, I also made it my priority this year to get healthy. We can do it!!

    -L

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to have a training buddy :) My OH came out on a few runs with me when I was training for a half-marathon, and it was really nice to have his support!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to have some moral support when training for something :) My OH came on a few training runs with me when I was training for a half-marathon, it was really nice to have his support!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have actually been motivated to be more healthy and get fit this year... although think it has something to do with me not wanting to do my work for Uni... :L lol

    xox

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)