Monday, 23 September 2013

FAVOURITE BOOKS OF 2013 . . . SO FAR!

(Disclaimer: these books might not necessarily have been published in 2013, but they're books I read then. So... there!)

So I read a lot. But it's been slow-going this year. In part, as I mentioned yesterday, this has probably been down to get used to reading off a kindle. Also, it's just been a bit of a MAD year what with moving flat. But I've managed to read some great books all the same. So let's get down to it . . .

The First Last Kiss - Ali Harris
I LOVED Ali Harris' first book, and so when I was heading to Lanzarote earlier this year (and wanted to take a couple of ACTUAL books so that my sister had something to read too - she doesn't have a kindle), I picked this one up. I LOVED it, although, be warned, it is a REAL tear jerker. Me and my sister both cried A LOT when we read it.

The Tsunami Countdown - Boyd Morrison
This is SOOO not my normal kind of book, but I have a weird obsession with tsunamis, and one Saturday night I bought this online, got pissed on cava and spent the ENTIRE NIGHT reading it. Just utterly gripped. It's a thriller about a tsunami striking in Hawaii, and it is a rollercoaster of a read.

SUNLOUNGER - the Ultimate Beach Read - Belinda Jones and others
This is a compilation of short stories set in various locations over the world and would have been the perfect beach read.... however I couldn't WAIT to read it and mostly read it in my bath in Glasgow. It took me a good month or so to get through because there are a LOT of stories in there, and from most of my favourite authors!

Brooklyn Girls: Pia - Gemma Burgess
I love Gemma's books and she's now released a series about a group of twenty something girls living in New York. This Brooklyn Girls novel features Pia, a girl who doesn't really know what she's doing with her life... so she ends up starting a food truck business. As expected, I loved this book and can't wait for her next one.

About a Girl - Lindsay Kelk
Another author I love, a standalone (well, technically it has a sequel but it isn't part of the "I Heart" series) novel about Tess, who after losing her job and sleeping with her best male friend, decides on a whim to pretend to be her bitchy flatmate and pose as her on a photoshoot in Hawaii... with hilarious results!

The Debt & the Doormat - Laura Barnard
I got this book for either ridiculously cheap, or free, on my Kindle, and I have to say I loved it. It had a sexy hero, sexual tension that jumped off the "page", and many laugh-out-loud moments. It was great, I was sad when it was over, and the only bit I'm confused about was why there were a couple of lines taken completely out of the dialogue of "Friends" (as a massive fan I recognised that straight away!). Otherwise an ace book.

Kept - Elle Field
Elle is a friend of mine who blogs here - we originally met through blogging/twitter but are now real life friends although she lives in London so I don't get to see her very often. But I've obviously been following her progress for YEARS and she now has a book out - Kept! It's fab and you should read it.

If You Lived Here, You'd Be Perfect By Now: The Unofficial Guide to Sweet Valley High - Robyn Hardwick
If you, like me, liked the Sweet Valley High books when you were younger, you will love this unofficial guide to the books. I think it's absolutely brilliant and you'll look at the characters in a whole new light.... especially the Wakefield Twins. (I also actually get a thank you in this book as I helped to fund it. But I'm in no way biased.... and get no royalties from recommending it!)


As I am off to Majorca in less than a week, I am already filling my Kindle up with new books (and will probably take a couple of physical books too just in case something happens to my precious e-reader...) so if you have any recommendations please let me know. And if you have read any of the above books, I'd love to know your opinion on them! ;-)

3 comments:

  1. Oh yey - Kept it on your list! {^_^} I wasn't sure if you'd read it yet, but I'm glad you liked it.

    I wasn't a fan of the Sunlounger anthology - some stories were awesome, some really weak, I found.

    I really need to read The First Last Kiss but my TBR pile is out of control. Too many books to read, not enough time! o_O xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe I haven't read any of these books. Looks like they will be added to my "must read" list! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love books and am getting "real" ones from the library, but my Kindle and Kindle app are awesome. I love Amazon's free books too!

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)