Sunday, 18 August 2013

SUPERFANS . . .

So I'm not a One Direction fan by any means. I mean, I like cheesy pop music as much as the next person, but I don't like a cheese OVERDOSE. Well, unless it's ACTUAL cheese. Then it's okay and I've done it on numerous occasions.

Yeah. They are waaayyy too cheesy for me. And I don't think it's just because I'm outwith their target age range. Even when I was younger, I liked boybands to some extent, but I was never a massive superfan of any of them. Did I want to marry Mark Owen a bit? Okay, maybe. (Thank god I didn't, based on how HE turned out.) But I didn't really want to hunt him down, or even particularly go and see him in concert and consider throwing my knickers at him.

So watching last night's "Crazy About One Direction" documentary on TV was a pretty weird experience. Sort of hilarious, but mostly a wee bit disturbing. This documentary followed a number of their fans over the UK as they tried to meet their idols, or just told us how much they loved the band.



It was a little bit scary. For example, the Taylor Swift thing. Obviously the One Direction angle here is that she dated Harry from the band. Remember, him that dated the girl my age once upon a time??? (still feel very VERY icky about THAT story on Caroline Flack's behalf.)  Now, I am NOT a fan of that girl. I don't know what it is about her. I don't HATE her, but I have no time for her. Some of these fans though? They LOATHED her. And it was a bit "damned if she does, damned if she doesn't" . . . she couldn't win. They hated her when she DATED Harry Styles, they hated her when she DUMPED him.

Then there was the gay fan fiction. Many of these girls seemed to think two of the members of the band are DESTINED to be a couple. I think Harry was one of them. (He seems to get all the action, eh? Even the imaginary kind.) They were actually ROOTING for them to get together. I guess it's nice they're open to that, although seems a bit odd if they are in love with their idols.

But there was one particular story which touched me a bit but actually made me feel a bit sad, and a bit bad for slating these fans at all. There was a girl who had met them, had hang around with them in the past (as a fan first and foremost, not as a friend), and she said all she wanted was to be their best friend, she didn't want to go out with them. But then, when asked if she didn't want a boyfriend, she said she just wanted to focus on One Direction, which seems like a pretty fucked up reason to want to be single. Fair enough if she was IN One Direction and wanted to focus on the "music" (sorry, I HAD to put inverted commas around that) I gradually felt for her a lot. I felt like she was on the verge of a  nervous breakdown and that makes me sad because she actually seemed like a nice girl, albeit a tad na├»ve and impressionable.

One day she's going to look back on this show (as I'm sure the other fans taking part in it will too) and probably be very embarrassed about the way she was portrayed and the things she chose to say. Do you really want to go down in history as Harry Styles' stalker??? I definitely don't think I would.

So yeah . . . it was all a bit weird and disturbing. Obviously this was only a small portion of 1D's fans.... I'm sure they're not the representative for all of them. But it just showed the difference social media makes when it comes to pop superstardom and fanbases - back in the day, I had no idea where Mark Owen was. Nowadays you can narrow down the coordinates of a specific celebrity just by doing a spot of twitter stalking. It's actually fairly terrifying. I don't think I would want to be famous in this day and age. It must be exhausting.

Overall, as the show ended, I just felt tremendously sorry for the guys in One Direction. Dealing with the fans must be a lot like having a second job! I couldn't do it. I just wouldn't have the patience for it.


Did you watch? What did you think? And were you ever obsessed with a celebrity?

3 comments:

  1. I haven't watched it but i saw some clips and oh man, these girls are crazy! its all a bit OTT for me, personally I wonder what their parents think! too much

    x Kirsty

    ReplyDelete
  2. The girl who has the obsession with the band? I knew a girl like that. In 8th grade, she was OBSESSED and I do mean obsessed with Corey Hart. He was a pop singer. She found out his address and wrote him letters, she had pictures of him, she watched and memorized every move he made in his videos. I think she believed she would marry him one day. Seriously. When we made fun of her (jokingly, just poking fun) after she bought the same sunglasses he had... she was truly angry. She didn't speak to us for months!

    Fast forward to my mid-20s when I stopped by her house to see how she was. I had lost touch with her for a while. Her sister told me she had the same weird obsession, but over Paul McCartney now. I realized she had not changed, so I didn't bother to stop by again.

    Last year, she found me on Facebook. She now has an obsession with Nine Inch Nails. She is doing all the same things she did in 8th grade! I was just floored. She is on their fan page, she knows every detail about Trent Reznor and she is basically following him all over the country. She idolizes people to an extreme that is way beyond the typical fanship.

    I find it all to be quite disturbing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The programme was scary. The thought that I am one day going to have kids who will be bought up in a world where it is so easy to stalk people is scary. My kids will not be allowed to do that! These girls have actually been driven crazy and I think a lot of that is down to Twitter and people over sharing.
    Don't get me wrong, when we were younger and realised my friend's dad had met 911 we were tamping with him and didn't speak to him for a while because he didn't take us, but we would never have stalked them!

    I did laugh in some places, they were ridiculously mad.
    xx

    Leanne - A Slice of My Life

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)