Tuesday, 20 August 2013

PAVEMENT RAGE REVISITED . . .

As you probably know, I moved from my flatshare to a flat all to myself about seven weeks ago. It's in the west end of Glasgow, just like my previous one, but it's at a different END of the west end, which means my walk to work has pretty much completely changed, apart from the last five minutes or so of the walk.

And it is soooo boring. Seriously. In my old place, I could vary the route and go by road or through the park and, even when I went by road, I could go down a different road if I wanted a change. But my new route is pretty much just straight along Dumbarton Road for half an hour, and I was sick of it by about day 2 of doing it. I took up listening to music on my way to work again (I go through phases where I can't be bothered and need to keep my mind clear so I can think) but even that hasn't livened things up for me.

My latest challenge to try and liven things up is to use the cardio trainer app on my Samsung Galaxy to track my walk to work and how long it takes me. I average around 40 minutes at around 3.5 miles per hour. Which is pretty good considering I have teeny wee legs (so much so that a possibly cute guy walked past me the other day but he was going too fast for me to establish if he WAS definitely cute or not). So I've been trying to build this up, this is my new way to make the way to work interesting - I am trying to see if I can get my speed up and increase the amount of average miles per hour I can do. I don't think I'll make it past 4 miles per hour on average but that's what I'm going for at the moment.

The problem is, I experience pavement rage in the extreme at the best of times so this new challenge has actually made me even worse.... because woe betide if I get stuck behind you if you're just out for an oblivious leisurely stroll. (Although if you ARE out for a leisurely stroll sub 8am on a weekday then I really DO wonder about you.) And the frigging traffic lights are out to get me too.... they are apparently determined to skew my average by making me weight at junctions for unbelievable amounts of times. It got to the point that I've now taken to stopping the timer on the app if I think I'm going to have to wait for a while... but then I've got to remember to put the fucker back on once I start moving again!

I don't even know what the point in this post is. Maybe it's that exercise actually has the potential to make me even angrier at myself and the world? But then exercise doesn't have a sole patent on that feat anyway. ANYTHING can make me angry really. Except nice things. Tell me nice things. PLEASE???????

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you... I'm the opposite of you though being that I have long legs... but I can't even walk in a grocery store aisle without wanting to hit people with tins of soup to get them to move faster!!

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)