Monday, 6 May 2013

PAULA VS FOOD . . .

Occasionally I find myself watching the TV show "Man vs Food". You know it, right? This dude travels about the States and basically races against himself to eat a ridiculous amount of food in a small period of time.

I don't really see the point of this show. It appals me and fascinates me in equal measures though.  There are a few reasons for this. The first reason is that, even though I love my food, and spend a lot of time THINKING about food and eating, I have a tiny little appetite. I can't eat a lot of food in one go. I'd quite happily go out for dinner and have three courses.... but it's unlikely I'll have finished each dish. So to see one guy virtually inhale the amount of food in one sitting which would probably do me for ONE WEEK . . . well, I find it pretty revolting.

On top of this, it seems rather counter-productive to have a programme that makes an achievement of a guy eating an unnecessarily large amount of (usually highly unhealthy) food in a short space of time, when the US (and the UK for that matter) has a high obesity problem. It's basically telling people it's acceptable to be gluttons - glorifying it rather than demonising it.

I seem to be in minority on this, mind. I mentioned it on twitter a few months back and everyone else seemed to love it, and take it in the spirit in which it is intended, which is I guess that it's meant to be fun. I can see its entertainment value, don't get me wrong, but I do worry a little about the message it is spreading. I know the programme is now over, but there are still re-runs of it, so it's not going away anytime soon. Apparently Adam Richman used to exercise twice a day when he was on the road filming to maintain his health . . . maybe they should have been making a bigger deal of that in the programme.

How did this dude end up getting to do this as a job anyway? When someone asked him what he wanted to do when he grew up, did he say "I want to eat for a living! How can I do that?"

Actually, I suppose most of us would be happy to eat for a living. Personally I'd be happy to drink wine for a living. But unfortunately "alcoholic" is not a job title. Yet.

Watch out for "Paula vs Wine" coming to a TV near you soon . . .


What are your thoughts on "Man vs Food"?

3 comments:

  1. I'm the same way. I tend to pick all day. It can be annoying sometimes but that seems to be my appetite. I guess there is no eating competitions in our future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I'm with you on this completely... think it's an appalling show! I mentioned it in a post about a similar theme a while back...
    http://www.justaboutnat.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/food-for-thought.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on this. Kinda gross. Definitely sending the wrong message.

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)