Monday, 29 April 2013

THINGS THAT *AREN'T* SO GREAT ABOUT BEING SINGLE . . .

If you've been reading my blog for any amount of time, you know I sporadically produce a post about how I prefer being single blah blah blah. And for the most part I feel that way so I am really practicing what I preach. The idea of being in a functional relationship with a real life member of the opposite sex is somewhat of an alien concept to me - I can barely even imagine it.

But there's a flip side to this. There are some things that suck about not being in a relationship. Here are some of them . . .

1. THE CINEMA
Now I'm not actually the biggest cinema fan to be honest. I hate that it costs so much and you have to sit through approximately three hours of adverts before the TRAILERS even begin, by which time you've usually ate all your overpriced food already . . . blah blah blah. But occasionally I DO actually like the sound of a film and want to see it. But all of my friends have already been to see it . . . with their other halves. And I am not one of these cool people who can go to the cinema themselves. So approximately twice a year, THAT sucks!

2. THE PLUS-ONE FACTOR
I rarely get a plus-one to parties, weddings etc. And, if I do, I have no one to bring. It's a double-edged sword that one.

3. POTENTIAL STARVATION
I have no one to try and cook me dinner to impress me. This means I have to cook my OWN dinner. This impresses neither me nor my taste buds.

4. THE PITY
I'm not saying everyone does this - in fact most people don't. But you do get that odd person who asks if you're in a relationship and, when you say no, they're like "Oh, the right person will come along when you least expect it." And, well meaning though it is, you don't really want their pity and sometimes, if you're REALLY not in the mood, you kinda feel like retorting "oh, well don't worry, I will punch you in the face when you least expect it." Just me?

5. "DROUGHTS"
Well, to be honest, lack of sex doesn't really bother me too much. I can go for months without having any. And since my last "encounter" was only in December, that was less than six months ago, which is pretty recent by my standards! But I'm not really a casual sex sort of girl so unless I'm in a relationship (or THINK I'm in a relationship!), it's highly unlikely I'm getting any. But, although I can cope without, it CAN be a minor annoyance at times.

6. GETTING DRESSED
This one annoys me more than the previous one actually as it's far more inconvenient. Some of my clothes can be awkward, especially if they zip/button up the back. It can be hard to get dressed by yourself, and I don't really want to wander the halls of my flat chapping on my flatmates doors, presenting them with my unzipped back and asking them to help me get dressed. If I wasn't single, this would be less of an issue. I imagine.


I guess, on the whole though, these are pretty trivial issues. But that doesn't make them any less valid, right? (I should point out that this is meant to be pretty tongue-in-cheek, it's not a self-pitying post. Well, not really anyway!)


Can you think of anything else that sucks about being single?

4 comments:

  1. My biggest gripe is the gift inequity. You get two gifts for people in a relationship, one for each of them, but they always get you one thing between the two of them. It means that you end up spending twice as much on only half the income.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always feel a bit self-conscious when I'm dining alone. So I take my phone out. Then, I feel dorky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #4 YES. Especially since I'm now divorced, I hear it all the time. Particularly because I so often say "I am never getting married again, at this rate. The choices out there for dating are slim."

    #6. Hard to explain, but try a wire hanger to zip your dresses in the back. I straighten out the hanger, put the "hook" through the zipper part, then put the dress on and pull it up. Voila! Had to do it so often myself, and it works.

    The one thing I notice most about being single, is New Year's Eve. I decided once long ago that I was tired of waiting for people to go out with me. I started going out alone - everywhere. I went to movies, out to eat, to concerts and after a while it started to become a lot of fun! I met so many people and increased my circle of friends. Well, I made the grave mistake, without thinking about it, to go out on NYE alone. Don't ever do it. I was surrounded by friends, we were having a great night and then BAM. Midnight hit and I was THE ONLY PERSON not kissing someone. I felt so stupid, I hadn't even thought about that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally with you on the cinema thing, and gigs and theatre... anything like that. The absolute best thing about a boyfriend is that they're obliged to come with you to see a film/band/play even if they don't fancy it themselves, whereas if a friend doesn't fancy it they won't go... and like you say, if they do fancy it they've already been with their boyfriend! Gah!

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)