Thursday, 4 April 2013

MOVING FORWARD . . .

I feel like 2013 has been a year of stagnating on my part, so far. I'm stagnating in my job, the way I want my body to be (despite spending a lot of time - by my standards anyway! - in the gym this past month . . . and most of all with my living situation.

Come July of this year, I will have been living in this flatshare for 10 years. And, okay, I love my massive room, I love the location . . . but I had been telling myself since my NINE year anniversary that I would celebrate my tenth anniversary by moving out into my own place. I'm 33 (and a half as of today!) years old and it's about time I grew up and lived on my own - like I've always wanted to do. Last year, I gave myself the deadline of the ten year mark to have saved some money and gutted my belongings to prepare myself for a move.

And then I didn't do it. As per usual. I procrastinated, put it off . . . and decided it was fine, I could stand another year here.

Then on Tuesday . . . my landlord called me. He basically said he'd been putting this off as long as he could but he could potentially have a better business if he got six people in together on a contract than six individuals such as us. He wanted to know what my situation was, what I was planning to do . . . and he said he had a basement flat also in the west end that I could potentially move into. Not that much more money per month (apart from council tax not being included) and it wouldn't need to be for a few months. I was excited after the initial shock. The idea of living on my own for the first time, the fact I would have the same landlord, the idea of a basement flat (I find something strangely romantic about them) . . . this seemed to be the push I needed.

Over the next two days I thought a lot about how great it would be to live alone, in this basement flat. No one to avoid talking to when I was feeling a bit shit and anti-social, no one to blame mess for, buying things like toilet roll and bin bags solely for my own purpose (and guests I suppose - I'm not going to invite them over and make them bring their own bog roll! I mean, that's just weird.) Being able to have people over for dinner and sit in the kitchen, being able to cook whenever I liked, not having other people in the loo when I wanted to use it . . . It would be perfect.

Today I discovered the person living in the flat isn't moving out after all. Selfish bastard.

My landlord says he's just going to leave the flat situation as is for the next year. But the wheels have started revolving in my brain now and I'm actually DYING to get my own flat.  And I'm worried that I'm the one he is keeping the flat situation the same for also. And I'm going to have to move out in the next year at any rate from the looks of it.

So I'm pretty much decided that I'm going to do it. It won't be as easy as the move to the basement flat would have been . . . but I think this is something I need to do. There will be more money involved, that's for sure - I'm paying less than 400 quid a month at the moment and that includes EVERYTHING - but I'm hoping it will be worth it to live on my own.

It's going to take a few months, the gutting of my things that I previously mentioned will still have to be done . . . there's no time to sort out the savings situation with a holiday next week that I haven't even PAID for yet (I'm really hoping my family can lend me deposit money when the time comes) . . . but I think 2013 is going to be the year that P actually tries to be a grown-up!

Should I do this??? And, if so, do you have any advice for me about looking for flats, renting etc? I'm gonna need all the help I can get . . .

9 comments:

  1. Do it!! Living alone is the best!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, do it. I loved living by myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pity about that basement flat! Living alone is actually really fun. I liked being able to walk around naked looking for clothes in my floordrobe, cooking whatever I wanted, knowing everything was where I'd left it and being able to talk about whatever I wanted on the phone or with guests and not thinking about whether people would overhear :)
    I also spent a ridiculous amount of time watching TV in my undies, while simultaneously studying and checking Facebook, but that's neither here nor there haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a scary thing but the BEST scary feeling ever....Doing everything on your own & not worrying about other people or depending on them to hold up their end of the deal. I wish you all the luck in finding your own place! I am so excited for you =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love living on my own, seriously it is the BEST! SO do it! And don't be afraid! It will be daunting at first, and difficult and you have to do everything, but after a while you realise that you do what you want when you want to and you love it! Good luck!!! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to love living on my own. I miss it! (although I also love living with B). It can be expensive as you have to pay everything yourself, but hopefully Glasgow give you a single person discount on your council tax etc... Go for it P!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are totally ready to do this. Living alone is brilliant and it does make you feel really good about being grown up and taking responsibility.

    You can do it! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its a good idea :) I lived alone for a while, at first it felt lonely but you get used to it, and your time and space is YOURS!

    The only thing I would say is that its not worth getting into debt for...obviously I dont know your situation but I'd only do it if I could afford the extra rent - otherwise you just set yourself off on a downwards spiral.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just to echo everyone else, living alone is the best thing in the world. Try and find a flat which is near your friends so that, if loneliness does strike, you can just pop round to see someone for a cuppa.

    Make sure you're super strict on your budget. Estate agents will try and take you round places about £200 over budget. Be firm on what you want.

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)