Monday, 7 May 2012

TIME TO BE SERIOUS...

I've read a couple of blog posts recently about people who are essentially finding themselves in a blogging funk or considering giving up blogging. It made me think a bit.

A lot of this seemed down to the fact that they were feeling under pressure to present their posts in a certain way, to promote themselves more, to post a certain thing on a certain day. Or they felt under pressure because they spent too much time looking at their stats. Or they just didn't think that blogging was what it used to be, and if we didn't remember that, then we knew nothing.

I don't know. It all kind of upset me, if I'm honest.

No one should be feeling pressure because of a blog. And, also, just because some people maybe were later to the blogging bandwagon doesn't mean they should feel patronised. Like they've missed out on something amazing by being late to the party.

When I first entered the blogosphere, I was completely blown away by it. The community was amazing, especially in forums like 20SB where you could meet all these people in the same place as you in terms of age and where they were in life etc. It was absolutely brilliant.

But here's the thing . . .

Blogging is STILL amazing.

People begin blogs for different reasons. Some are using them as a means to an end in terms of a business, social marketing ploy, whatever. Others have a niche they want to embrace. Some of us just want to write a fucking personal blog. In other words, it's our corner of the world and we want to write about whatever the hell we want to write about. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's not, sometimes people read it, sometimes they don't. When it comes down to it though, if it's a personal blog, it's our space, our place to vent, to rant, to ask opinions of others (if we want to)... we can choose whether we want to post or whether we want to back off and leave it for a while.

You might get companies contacting you asking you to review stuff - you don't have to say yes! (Personally, I only say yes if I want to try the product - eg my post earlier today.) Ultimately, it's about what YOU want to do.

Remember this: no one is forcing you to post. Being a personal blogger is our own choice.

Don't get me wrong, I've been through these phases. I can actually understand why people feel this way, believe it or not.  For example: personally, I tend to post less when I'm happy. And when I'm happy, I'm REALLY not worrying about whether or not someone else in the world is upset about me taking a break. I'm still going to be there with my friends, the ones I've met online, if they need me though.

Friends are friends regardless of where you met them.

In the four/five years I have been part of the blogosphere I have met a lot of great friends... and I continue to do so. It's not forced or a friendship of convenience, it's a genuine friendship formed through sharing a lot of experiences and perhaps having a lot in common. In a lot of ways, blogging is still the same as it was back when I first started. In some ways, even more so . . . back then, i couldn't ever have imagined meeting the friends in real life that I have now as a result of my online life.

My very first bloggy friend was Chele - formerly known as the Tambourine Queen. I met her in the very early days of my blogging and I've never met her in real life . . . but we spent months emailing each other. She likened it to "Beaches". It was the closest internet friendship I have ever had with someone I haven't actually met... and I still do hope to meet her someday, in spite of the fact I live in Scotland and she lives in Thailand. Since then, I have met over the years many other friends I have met through blogging who have became great friends to me and who I get to see often (in particular the ones who live near me *waves to Smidge and Dawn). I've met up with girls from the other side of the Atlantic (well, one. Hopefully more one day.)

But, even though I have my shit days sometimes and think I want to quit, I'd always like to think my blog would still be there. Because I know I will want to come back to it, and too many good memories have came as a result of it. And so . . .

My lesson of the day is this:

Blogging is still fun.

And, when it comes down to it, blogging is completely what you choose it to be.

Two cents thrown into the ring. Over.

10 comments:

  1. I LOVED that post. I only tend to blog if I've something to share. I used t blog daily but now I just can't be bothered, I only blog if I've discovered something that I want to share, which is rare these days. But I'm happy, I don't need page views to feel loved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hum, i've been reading these posts too (we all read much the same blogs after all)

    Maybe there is some level of jealousy about the newbies (mostly fashion) bloggers who now get all the attention? Rather than the clique?

    I was also wondering if its also because as we have all settled into blogging (its now not so new and exciting) that comments and page views have dropped off.

    Although I have noticed my stats going up my comments have dropped. We all love a comment on our blogs don't we?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post - I still love blogging and find it great fun and I hope that doesn't change! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. *stands up and starts slowclap*

    Hear, hear.

    Ive been hearing alot of people say they dont post when money is a bit tight and they arent purchasing- are we so consumer driven that we cant post without buying something?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very true. Its hard to stick to it. I actually used to post more when I was happy than when I was sad. Now not so much. I have had 2 blogs since 2007 and I'm back to my first one after the second one caused me some headaches after trying to make a new start.

    I love how people can be so honest and how it brings people together. It's only in the past 2 years that I have noticed how certain blogs write their posts a certain way to get a reaction out of people, it likens me to how people write posts on FB to get a reaction i.e. likes and comments. It's not as relaxed as it used to be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just had a conversation on fb with a bloggy friend about this very subject just a little bit ago.

    We also talked about how sometimes, online friends can be nicer than your friends in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's funny you should post this just as I've returned to personal blogging after an 18 month break. I think one of the reasons that I stopped was (in addition to getting myself into a whole lotta shit that even the writers of Coronation St couldn't invent) is that I had no direction for the blog.

    As it happens I ghost blog for companies now but I always missed Blogger and as you say the really nice community that exists here. I've fired up my blog again today and have spent a few hours going through my blogroll and reading list. Nice to see you're still at it. There are so many who haven't blogged in 2 years :(

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this post! I've taken breaks because I've been very sad and often can't write a simple sentence. I feel guilty for not writing, not visiting other blogs and am just realizing blogging is done for fun.

    Like you, I've met some great people online, but also love reading the voices of so many people all over the world.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I stopped as people kept finding things and getting confused about what they meant. I decided it was best to simply stop, and read blogs instead of writing them.

    I did it for eight years (Blogging) and ran out of cynicism. Or rather, started repeating myself ... !

    ReplyDelete
  10. *sigh*

    just the words I needed to hear..

    I can go for months without blogging, but I always come back to it. Because it's fun. Because I love my internet friends.

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)